A couple Hockey Pics

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by dbirdsong, Nov 22, 2005.

1. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

These are from last Saturday's Motor City Mechanics game.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

D70 Sigma 70-200 EX HSM
    ISO 1600
    Shutter 1/320
    F2.8
    EV +.7

2. Very nice ...fighting somethign that we dont see at the pro level anymore. I am hopign to take my camera in to a Philly Flyers game this year, I have seats rgith above the glass

3. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Thanks Mike..
    I wish that the fight had been closer to the center of the ice... (ROOKIES!!! The vets know to make sure they fight in the center of the ice, it makes for better photos) The 2 linesmen both came over to me afterwards and asked if I got any good shots of them since it was so far away from me....

4. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Mike :

I remember seeing the Broad Street Bullies in the mid-seventies, with Dave Schultz at his prime for on-ice brawling. Seldom a game where we didn't get a good old-fashioned donnybrook, and none of those sissy helmets of today in the way of their fists, either !

Ah, good memories... :tongue: :rolleyes: :eek:

John P.

5. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Nice shooting, Dave. Hockey is difficult to shoot, but when you catch certain action...it is so gratifying. I've seen some great images over the years and would love to get some of my own someday. Both of the images that you posted at really well shot. The crop on the first is very nice with the facial expressions telling quite a story. The second image is sweet as well...look at the lady in the background, COOL!

6. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Thanks John and Frank...
    The people in the crowd can really make a hockey shoot, and your right that lady really makes that picture.
    Last year I got one shot of a fight with the people in the background all had camera phones taking pictures... I bet they were all lousy shots.. but to them they were priceless.

7. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Hey Dave...someday when you are shooting a game, you might finding it challenging to capture facial expressions in the crowd instead of on the ice. Some tight crops of faces in the crowd could make for some great shooting. If that lady in the background of the potential, I think it could make for some fun shooting.

8. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

You mean like these?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

or my favorite.
    [​IMG]