A couple I forgot about...prom

Discussion in 'People' started by ponykilr, Jun 7, 2007.

1. ponykilr

ponykilr

May 23, 2007
    usa
  2. cuss2much

cuss2much Guest

I like the lighting in #2,
    Love everything about the last one...

3. 1 and 4 are out of the box... very good.

4. ponykilr

ponykilr

May 23, 2007
    usa
    Thank you guys!

Anyone else wanna share some pics?

5. srwatters

srwatters

Feb 27, 2006
    Plano, TX
    Love #4. Might have been better if the tree was not there, but it's really nice as is.

Well done!

6. ponykilr

ponykilr

May 23, 2007
    usa
    I have tried to crop this in the past so that the tree was a natural frame on the edge of the picture, but it lost something with the closer crop. Thanks for the kind words.
    Maybe if I had had them to stand a little farther away from the azaleas...hindsight is always better than foresight:smile:

7. davidzvi

davidzvi

Apr 30, 2005
    Massachusetts
    David
    the forth is my favorite, but I would try cropping it just so that you eliminate the green on the right side of the tree.

8. the lighting in #2 is superb, what was your lighting setup?

9. I like them all!!

#1 could be an ad for the tuxedo manufacturer
    #2 is just a great looking portrait
    #3 could have been better if the young man was in the shade as well to get rid of the blown highlights in his vest/flower
    #4 is absolutely wonderful

10. I really like #4 as is. Looks very natural. Eliminating the tree may look to artificial.

11. ponykilr

ponykilr

May 23, 2007
    usa
    It is a closely guarded secret....no really, just an SB600 with a sto-fen omni bounce and stroboframe camera flip. I also use the sc29 cable which puts the flash meter back down on the camera. When I use flash I want it simple. All of these used the same setup. Turned the flash power down 2 stops and it just lessens the shadows without becoming the main light.

I have a pro-max kit but it is just so bulky and looks like a science project, so I dont use it much. The omni bounce or Fongsphere is really needed for natural looking flash in my experience.

To Keith and the rest of you guys, thanks. My head is swelling. Great models make it seem easier.

So, no one else shot any proms?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2007
  12. Very nicely done. I like all four, but my fave is #4 as well! #3 is my least fave because of the reasons Keith mentioned. I may have some prom photos, but they weren't formal and aren't good enough to show here. My son was in a hurry and the wind was just shy of a tornado.

13. ponykilr

ponykilr

May 23, 2007
    usa
    http://www.dxo.com/intl/photo/dxo_optics_pro

DxO optics pro v4.2

I usually dont rave about a product, but this one is just the best of it's kind.

This is the best kept secret in photo software. You owe it to yourself to try it. It makes skin and hair have that creamy, silky look without looking plastic. I use it for raw conversion along with d-light, noise reduction and simple adjustments. It is simply superb. It corrects for lens distortion, all kinds of digital noise problems(camera and lens specific) and simply makes any photo(works just as well on jpgs) look better.

It processes after you tweak and saves it to the file you specify. After you tweek, just start it up processing and walk away. It will do hundreds of images while you are taking a nap.

It wont do the real serious editing PS will do, but it isnt meant to.

Download a free trial and see what I mean. They also are giving 20% off of purchase for 72 more hours, just enter code 3YRSDXO. The middle one is the best for the money, unless you have certain high end cameras it doesnt buy you anything. Spend some time reading the pdf users manual and give it a go, it just plain works.

Here is a review, but it doesnt say much about people pics.
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/dxo/optics-pro.htm

14. LOL, thanks...glad to hear it wasn't necessarily an umbrella, etc...I have what you have (800) and also have the Fong, my daughter's a couple of years away from her prom. Have been looking at flash brackets, that stroboframe as well as Joe Demb.

15. ponykilr

ponykilr

May 23, 2007
    usa
    The camera flip works well once you replace the plastic nuts on it with metal ones so you can tighten it up. It is meant to be used on a tripod, but I hand hold it. I am sure that there are better constructed units but for the $$, it works very well. The regular stroboframe brackets turn the flash head on it's side and it seems to throw a weird pattern like that. The camera flip rotates the camera and the flash head stays put.

BTTL mode and power 2 stops down works for me, YMMV.