A couple more baseball shots from Monday

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by eng45ine, Apr 11, 2007.

1. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    All,

Just a couple more from last Monday, the first image was taken shortly after my sweet ambient lighting was consumed by some passing clouds. I like the action that I captured, but the unfortunately the shot is rather flat.

Here's a shot of the catcher looking back to the bench in search of what pitch to call. I have an extremely difficult time shooting the catcher because I usually key on the action on the field. I plan to earmark an inning or two the next time out to only photograph the catcher. Any suggestions on how to be successful?

View attachment 90084

2. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    Hi Frank,

That first young man has good technique for grounders. The image doesn't look flat on my monitor, in fact I think it looks pretty darn good!

I never took baseball photos because I was always the coach when my son was playing. I wish I could offer some advice on photographing baseball but I never got the chance to try it myself. :frown: I've seen a lot of your sports images and I am in awe!

3. nipprdog

nipprdog

Jun 8, 2006
    IN
    I wouldn't say it was flat.

between his intense focus and expression, and the placement of the ball, it leaves the viewer wondering that if in the next millesecond, "did he make the play".

4. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks very much Andy, you know that I appreciate the kind comments. I am hoping to capture more "special" shots, if you understand what I mean. Shots from different angles....something to really highlight the player's performance. I just need to dig deep and make this a reality.

5. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks Jim, I am probably looking to far beyond what I caught here. Trying like crazy to excel in my photography, that's all. I am looking forward to presenting this image to the player and I am so glad that his eyes are wide open.

6. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    I looked at some more of your sports images and they are incredible! The only thing different I see would be to shoot from a very low vantage point like the photogs down in the pits at a major league ballpark. Your quality is on par with anything I have seen in sports mags. I know a lower vantage point would bring in some distracting elements but I would think it is all a part of the ambience of a ballfield. I don't miss coaching one bit but I do miss the sights and sounds.

7. niknd501

niknd501

May 13, 2006
    Illinois
    Frank...These are both very good...I would love to have either one...

The shot you want for a catcher is the "steal attempt/throw"...The
    catchers facemask will drop down and you will catch the catchers arm
    all the way out if you can get the right timing......Just watch a couple
    steal attempts to see what I mean....

It's a great shot if you can catch it..

8. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks for your insight Andy. I do shoot from my knees when next to the backstop, but unfortunately have to stand when shooting along the first or third base fencing. How I wish they have submerged photog pits in high school ball, how cool that would be. And again, my sincerest thanks for your comments and support. As far as coaching goes...I will never volunteer for that role again, way too stressful for me.

9. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Sounds great....am I to shoot from the first base side? I wouldn't think the third base side wouldn't yield anything good? Although cheating, maybe I can prompt the catcher to try a pickoff throw....for the interest in photography, of course!:tongue:

10. niknd501

niknd501

May 13, 2006
    Illinois
    Frank...You have to watch the batting lineup and figure out if there are more
    right handed or left handed hitters....Know who the steal threats are..Usually
    the guys at the top of the lineup are the fastest but not always...You do not
    want the hitters in your way so it will vary on which baseline you can shoot
    from....

Depends on if it is a right handed or left handed catcher also....Usually right - so
    firstbase side is best...

11. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Gotcha...I should shoot from the first base fence with a righthanded batter. I will have to ask the catcher if he uses a sign to alert the firstbasemen that a throw is immenent. Cathing his sign will help me prepare for his throw. I'll have to run some questions past the plateminder!

12. niknd501

niknd501

May 13, 2006
    Illinois
    Good luck...That would be a GREAT shot man..SI kinda stuff..

Now you have me thinking about it....You have the reach...I don't yet...

The catcher will have to be throwing snowballs now though...ha ha ha

13. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Isn't that the sad truth, two inches of the heavy wet stuff today. Thank goodness I enjoy shooting birds! But....60s are forecasted for next week.

14. Frank, I'll never be able to teach you anything about photography but I thought you might like to see these. These are my youngest daughter and my second catcher. A shot of the umpire holding her arm behind her back, when we were working on protecting her hand, in one of those 18-0 games we played. No catcher in Tennessee tougher than her, she doubled in two runs then we went to the emergency room. The thing I was most proud of was that smile she always wore no matter the circumstances. She made the games fun for parents, players, coaches, and the umpires always knew they were going to have a good day when they called behind her. A fast moving game with a catcher who was always happy and would talk about anything from helping an umpire with his golf swing to the best place to eat after the game while calling the game herself. While I'm blubbering I'll also tell you she was an all-state catcher and one of the top twenty high school golfers in Tennessee. I hope you enjoy these.
    http://chapelhillbill.smugmug.com/gallery/2700066/1/143032623

15. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Hey Bill.....been a long time and missed you in Huntsville this year,

I remember seeing her picture when you posted it last year, what a girl! Glad that her injury was only soft tissue and not her eye.

16. I tried posting these pics in bulk, but I failed, however I did get the link to you. I missed being in Huntsville too, I've been having some health issues. It looks like I'm gonna have a procedure to close a open flap in my heart in a couple of weeks,wish me luck.

17. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    My sincerest wishes for a swift and complete recovery. Heart surgeries are more than commonplace these days, you'll do fine and be back to your routine in no time at all.

18. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    I wouldn't say the first shot is flat. As others have pointed out, the intensity in his eyes, the ball moving toward the glove, makes for an interesting pic.
    I also like the close up of the catcher. Very nice.
    I think catcher shots are really good, when you can get their eyes in the picture. Especially when they are wearing a mask. They eyes can convey a lot.

19. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks Jeff, I know his mother and I really thought that she would enjoy this image. I plan to print it big for her...

20. Very nice Frank...that second shot is amazing!

Anthony