A couple of Aussie locals from the local sanctuary

A couple of images from a recent trip to the local wildlife sanctuary:

A Lazy Kangaroo
20130427081208-4e271a47.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

An even lazier Koala. (They sleep between 10-22 hours a day!)
20130426095754-fe73fa44-me.jpg

A Rock Wallaby.
20130426095755-60d84284-me.jpg

A Dingo.
20130427081027-0279f880-me.jpg

Thanks for sharing...! :cool:

I didn't realise how much dingo's look like dogs... Do people sometimes make
pets out of them or are they, like wolves, wild at heart...?

Thanks for sharing...! :cool:

I didn't realise how much dingo's look like dogs... Do people sometimes make
pets out of them or are they, like wolves, wild at heart...?

I don't think they are as wild as wolves, that said my wolf experience is zero.:wink:

Not many are kept as pets (you need a special license.) but I suspect many dogs in aboriginal communities have at least some dingo in them. And I do remember some years ago a guy not too far from here running a dingo farm.

Personally I think dingoes get a bad rap here, most farmers don't like them as they will take small stock like lambs, in fact in the late 1800's they built a small fence to control them - only 1553 miles long. :tongue:

In tourist areas they can be a nuisance as scavengers too. (Usually as a result of stupid people feeding them.)

These ones look far more like a domestic dog than most I have seen in the wild. The wild ones are far leaner - I guess these guys get a good life and are well cared for in the sanctuary.:biggrin:

Glad you like them Tim :smile:

Update: Your images and my ignorance of the dingo-fence lead me to a two hour tour through Wikipedia studying the challenges between native and invasive species, indeed the grey-area classification of the dingos and the extinction events that occurred as a result of their presence.

If pictures are meant to inform and cause one to think, these are the images of the week! :wink:

Update: Your images and my ignorance of the dingo-fence lead me to a two hour tour through Wikipedia studying the challenges between native and invasive species, indeed the grey-area classification of the dingos and the extinction events that occurred as a result of their presence.

If pictures are meant to inform and cause one to think, these are the images of the week! :wink:

haha... Glad to assist with your education :tongue: It's a complicated topic with not a lot of happy stories.

I hope you wont expect the same from all my images :eek:

Cheers.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom