A couple of bad pics, honest, and a bird ID please.

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Retief, Feb 21, 2005.

1. While all of the great images from Florida are being posted, I'll post a couple that are really not very good, for suggestions as well as contrast. I'd really like ideas on what the deal is with the second image.

I went out to a place I had not yet visited yesterday, Spencer Island. Strangest part is how you get there. You drive through a Sewage Treatment plant, fun, eh? We did not have many opportunities, which is why I went ahead with these first two images, even though conditions were far less than ideal.

Shooting up into the tree from a severe angle and back into the sun is a real pain:

[​IMG]

But we were going to wait this bird out, until it took off, which it did. However, two things happened. The first was that the bird jumped up off the branch, rather then launching out or slightly down, which made the first couple quite worthless. Second was that I, for reasons I surely don't remember, was at 1/180th of a second, causing the quite interesting motion blur in the following image:

[​IMG]

I don't quite understand the "blue glow", it looks just like that before processing. Any idea other than strange motion blur?

The Eagle then proceeded to head for the nice stickup out in the open:
    [​IMG]

I followed him until after he landed then moved down with the others:

[​IMG]

I missed the next take-off as I was repositioning myself, darn it, but one of the fellows I was with got a beatiful shot of the take-off, the image of the day.

We also saw a number of hawks flying around, I am pretty sure that this first one is a juvenile Red-Tail:

[​IMG]

At first I thought this was one as well, but it does not have the dark leading edge, any other ideas?

[​IMG]

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Bill,
    Really great shots. WOW what a great day you had.

Cheers
    Gale

3. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    More good stuff!

I'm curious, was +.7 EV enough for the 1st 2 shots, or did you have to crank it up some more in post?

4. Thanks, Gale. Fewer opportunities than usual, but we sure got a lot of exercise. I really did miss the best one of the day, though, when the Eagle took off from that tall tree stump, darnit.

5. Re: More good stuff!

You sly devil, you, yes I did have to punch it up a bit. I used the new D-Lighting tool in Capture 4.2. What is interesting is that in High Quality mode I actually had to dial it back down from the "auto" settings. I am not quite sure if I have pumped it just a bit too much. If I thought that either of those two were good enought for printing, I would work it more.

I'd still like to figure out just what the heck caused that blue glow in Shot #2.