1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

A couple of flowers with the D200

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by viewfinder, Dec 20, 2005.

1. Well, didn't expect to get one, but the dealer rung today and said "So do you want one?"...

Just went outside when I got home and point-and-shoot, fading light at late 6 PM, all blurred except for these two. A lot to be learnt about the D200 yet...

This one is straight out of the camera, without any settings changed and using the P mode, 50mm 1.8D. Cropped from the center at around 1000 pixel across and resized to 800, auto contrast in post processing.

DSC_021042.
    NIKON D200    ---    50mm    f/5.0    1/100s    ISO 100

Camera model : NIKON D200
    Date/Time : 2005:12:20 18:26:11
    Flash used : No
    Focal length : 50.0mm (35mm equivalent: 75mm)
    Exposure time : 0.0100 s (1/100)
    Aperture : f/5.0
    ISO equiv. : 100
    Whitebalance : Auto
    Metering Mode : spot

This one is trying the settings that I normally use on the D70 - Cloudy WB and shallow DOF with the 105mm micro. Not quite the same outcome as the D70, lighting is probably quite different as I usually do these mid morning around 10 AM in the shade.

DSC_021048.
    NIKON D200    ---    105mm    f/4.0    1/45s    ISO 100

Camera model : NIKON D200
    Date/Time : 2005:12:20 18:44:47
    Flash used : No
    Focal length : 105.0mm (35mm equivalent: 157mm)
    Exposure time : 0.022 s (1/45)
    Aperture : f/4.0
    ISO equiv. : 100
    Whitebalance : Manual (Cloudy)
    Metering Mode : spot

First impression:

Shutter noise is quite different to the D70, higher pitch than I expected, and not as quiet as I thought it would have been. But sounded a little more professional.

Surprisingly light considering the magnesium alloy body, rubber moulding is assuring and much better non-slip quality than the D70.

Large LCD monitor compared to the D70 (don't know about the D70s), and larger top panel display.

Very nice rubberised command wheels. Not too fuss about the thumb rocker switch, too soft and not a lot of tactile feedback.

You will need to customise the thumb rocker if you are a D70 user as by default it is opposite, < > for browsing between images and ^ V for image properties.

Controls are all logically laid out. I like the metering mode switch which you can reach using your right thumb while gripping the camera. Great to be able to switch between AF-C and AF-S mode without going through a few levels of menu.

ISO and WB settings are on the top, so will take a little adjusting from the D70.

Well, that's it for now. Quite timely for it to arrive just before we go away for the Christmas break. It will be very interesting shooting over the break I think.

Regards,
    Jonathan

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2006
  2. Very nice Jonathan....#2 is a killer...love that one :biggrin:

3. Jonathan, I'll be anxious to see your shots as you continue to master your new D200!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.