A couple of inning of HS Baseball

These were shot with a D3s, Sigma 120-300 with 1.4 TC at f4.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

That's been my dream lens for versatility, but having just switched to Nikon I have no money left, so what happens, a second-hand one comes onto out internet auction site! AUUUGGGHHH!

Can't see how you can complain about that IQ too much, great action.

That's been my dream lens for versatility, but having just switched to Nikon I have no money left, so what happens, a second-hand one comes onto out internet auction site! AUUUGGGHHH!

Can't see how you can complain about that IQ too much, great action.
One thing I have done is changed how I apply sharpening. I run everything through DXO in batch and I have used the default settings, which are not aggressive. Playing around with Topaz detail, I was able to bring back detail in the images. Trying to get that look in batch with DXO, I bumped up intensity to 500, Radius to 1.38, and Threshold to 1. These settings seem to be working so far.

i've never shot baseball (i'm an aussie, we play cricket) but i rekon 7 and 8 are awesome snaps.

the rest, no offence intended, look like what i call 'thousand-frames-a-game' shots. they're things that will happen the same way, a thousand times a game. so there's plenty of opportunity to get those pix.

but 7 and 8 are true peak of action shots and, i rekon they rock! well done mate.

as for the IQ discussion on your 120-300 glass with the TC. i note you said you shot @ f4. is that wide open for the lens? if so, perhaps shut down a stop, maybe a stop and a bit, of aperture.

you might find that overall sharpness will improve. at least, i find sharpness improves when i shut down to f8.0 when using my 400/2.8 and 2x converter.

to my eye, that Sigma zoom looks to be a fine piece of glass from these pix.

i've never shot baseball (i'm an aussie, we play cricket) but i rekon 7 and 8 are awesome snaps.

the rest, no offence intended, look like what i call 'thousand-frames-a-game' shots. they're things that will happen the same way, a thousand times a game. so there's plenty of opportunity to get those pix.

but 7 and 8 are true peak of action shots and, i rekon they rock! well done mate.

as for the IQ discussion on your 120-300 glass with the TC. i note you said you shot @ f4. is that wide open for the lens? if so, perhaps shut down a stop, maybe a stop and a bit, of aperture.

you might find that overall sharpness will improve. at least, i find sharpness improves when i shut down to f8.0 when using my 400/2.8 and 2x converter.

to my eye, that Sigma zoom looks to be a fine piece of glass from these pix.
The pics as you mentioned are pretty routine. When you don't have much time and show up lte, you get what you can.

With a TC on, f5 is needed to get better sharpness with the 120-300. I was playing around wide open just to see what I could do with my new presets for post processing. Nice to know what I can and can't do in case I need it.

The pics as you mentioned are pretty routine. When you don't have much time and show up lte, you get what you can.
hehe, i always take my 'safe' shots at matches too. nothing wrong with that.

With a TC on, f5 is needed to get better sharpness with the 120-300. I was playing around wide open just to see what I could do with my new presets for post processing. Nice to know what I can and can't do in case I need it.
i'd like to see examples of a couple stopped down if you happen to have any handy. be interested to see if i can notice any difference.

but from these, looks to me like you can use that zoom and TC quite happily out in the sunshine. it might not be on par with ludicrous-glass, but it's pretty darn good.

gotta say, i am impressed with that glass.

After developing new editing techniques for the glass, I don't envy the nikon 300 prime as much and I think my gameplan is to save for the 400 2.8 prime instead of getting a 300 prime. I have gotten used to the zoom feature and it is great for shooting sports like baseball and softball. I can take my Sigma on one camera and a wide angle on another instead of 300 prime, a 70-200, and a wide angle. For newsprint, its more than enough. The baseball shots were taken through a chainlink fence too.

Here is two at f5. I didn't do anything too special PP.

Here is one wide open at 2.8. This one got a Topaz detail treatment.

2.8 without Treatment

After developing new editing techniques for the glass, I don't envy the nikon 300 prime as much and I think my gameplan is to save for the 400 2.8 prime instead of getting a 300 prime.
i actually just posted somewhere in Lens Lust that i rekon a 400/2.8 is always a better choice than the 300/2.8....

if you can justify that kind of cabbage, you won't be disappointed. mine is an afs-ii model in perfect nick and i've never felt like i need VR.

Here is two at f5. I didn't do anything too special PP.
these look a touch crisper to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom