1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

A couple of my M3 with my new D300

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by Neon01, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Neon01

Neon01

Sep 24, 2008
    Forest Hill, MD
    C&C appreciated.

These were with Capture NX2. I'm still working out whether I like the quality enhancement I feel it gives the images enough to switch from ACR or lightroom, which I feel are much more user-friendly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I know they're a bit underexposed, but I kind of like the look. What do you think?

2. I do think that the second shot could use a little fill light on the rear of the car.

These type of shots could benefit from the use of HDR (high dynamic range). I can't remember the company that makes software for these type of pictures, but it would help with getting the foreground as well as the sky and background have an even-looking exposure.

As for your car, what kind of power is it putting out with the Dinan 'upgrade?'

3. Neon01

Neon01

Sep 24, 2008
    Forest Hill, MD
    Yes I've done HDR images with Photomatix, but as I said I kind of liked the way these turned out anyway. Still, maybe I'll try that some time in this type of setting.

Haha, I should have figured I'd get someone giving me hell about Dinan 'upgrades'. Actually I bought the car used a couple years ago with the S2 package, which includes the airbox, exhaust, chip, throttle bodies, 3.91 rear, and suspension. Even if the software and extras don't add any power, the gears are great and the sound is MUCH better than stock. The suspension is awesome too, much more compliant and better on the track than the stock setup (it's the JZ double adjustable setup with the camber kit, which you can't get anymore - they now source through Koni). But to answer your question, Dinan's lit. says ~380 to the crank, but who knows what it actually is.

4. I love that car. Nice shots. Have any more?

5. I'm not giving hell, I'm just interested. I have a Subaru Outback with a 'Cobb' upgrade that puts out a little over 300 hp (not at the wheels). It's a bit of a sleeper.

6. Neon01

Neon01

Sep 24, 2008
    Forest Hill, MD
    Oh I gotcha. I thought since you added the quotes to "upgrade", you meant it sarcastically. Among the BMW E46 crowd, Dinan has earned a bit of a bad rep since their products cost a lot, and sometimes yield little in the way of actual gains. Still, as I said, they came on the car when I got it. I certainly never would have paid $30k (with installation) for a few bolt-ons and a suspension.

Cobb has quite a good rep among the subie crowd. Nice sleeper!

7. Neon01

Neon01

Sep 24, 2008
    Forest Hill, MD
    Thanks, not at present for my current car. I do have some of my previous M3s though:

My first one - a stripper model Alpine White with alcantara interior and sunroof delete:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I bought the '99 E36 M3 track car. This car had more modifications than I can list here. It was truly a track rat:

[​IMG]

8. Neon01

Neon01

Sep 24, 2008
    Forest Hill, MD
    and just before my current car was an '06 Interlagos Blue ZCP Performance Package (which I had to get rid of very soon after for various reasons):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Funny, as I look back at those images, I think I can actually see my photography skills improving quite dramatically. All but the most recent shots are with my Rebel XT, with the Alpine model being the oldest.

Hope these images aren't too big.

9. rGrissM3

rGrissM3

Oct 4, 2008
    NC
    Good to see another bimmernut on here, I'm currently 17 and financing an E36 m3, and a D700 :D  Nice car, but back away a little next time

10. shtarka1

shtarka1

Feb 1, 2008
    Boston
    Nice Rides!

11. I don't know why... But I'm guessing you like 3 Series BMW.... :rolleyes: .. :biggrin:...

12. Neon01

Neon01

Sep 24, 2008
    Forest Hill, MD
    Yeah you could say that. I also had a 330i ZHP performance package (not shown). I've no interest in the E9x series though - they reached the pinnacle of styling perfection with the E46 IMO.

13. rGrissM3

rGrissM3

Oct 4, 2008
    NC
    My thoughts exactly, mainly because you can put an E46 next to an E36 and still see the car's true styling, then you get an e92 335 and it's a completely different car.

14. nikko

nikko Guest

I agree also.

After seeing these pics and rGrissM3's thread i miss my old M3. I used to frequent bf.c a lot. i had a e36 Cosmos M3. I didn't do to much to it. As far as mods, i know i had the ECIS Intake, Mozart Exhaust, UUC Stage 2 flywheel with M5 clutch(fav mod!!) UUC rear ltw spoiler. Ellipsoids, DDE's.. I am pretty sure that was it. I sold that car back in 04'.

To the OP the pics look good!:biggrin:

15. cbizz

cbizz

Aug 4, 2008
    Canada
    I love your tast in cars... what do you think of the 09?

16. Neon01

Neon01

Sep 24, 2008
    Forest Hill, MD
    Thanks. The 09 isn't really my thing. Don't get me wrong, its a hot car, but as I mentioned before, I think they really hit their peak with the E46. Personally there just isn't enough to differentiate the E92 M3 from the E92 335i. The E46 looked vastly more aggressive with radically flared fenders front and rear as well as a number of other factors.

Plus I really think BMW is getting away from their true sports car ideal that I used to admire. They're pandering too much to the affluent crowd. And not just in their more expensive lines, it's trickling down into their lower 1 and 3 series cars as well. Weight creep is just taking over.

17. Penguin

Penguin

Sep 10, 2008
    Canada
    Jealous. Nice shots/ride

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.