A couple of Osprey

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Clix Pix, Apr 26, 2007.

1. I went to the Belle Haven Marina the other day and was rewarded by the sight of an osprey waaay up in a tree:

p801088836.

The real surprise was the osprey sitting in her nest on a post out in the middle of the water of the marina!

p774674582.

First image shot with 300mm f/2.8 VR and 1.4x TC, while the second image was shot with the 70-300mm VR.

2. WOW, Connie these are great! I'm beginning to like ospreys almost as much as I do eagles! keep em comin!

3. Way to go Connie, You'll need to get you a boat!!!

4. Thanks, Dianne! Next nice day we have I'm going back down there, this time armed with a longer lens (either the 80-400mm VR or the 300-500mm Tamron) to see if I can get a little closer shot of the nesting osprey.....

Yep, Gary, I'd love to have jumped into one of the many boats I saw there -- actually I spent more time admiring and photographing the boats than I did the birds!

5. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    Looks like you have found a spot to do some flight shooting!

6. Cool shots, Connie. The 70-300VR for the money is top shelf IMO. Well done!

7. Very nice, Connie!

Is the Belle Haven marina in Va? I've never heard of it, but then I haven't been to any part of Virginia in a long time!

I love birds too! Never seen an osprey much less photograph one.

Laura

8. Yes, the Belle Haven marina is on the outskirts of Alexandria, just off Rte 1. There are a couple of marinas along there: Daingerfield Island is not that far up the road, too. Both are accessed from the GW Parkway. It had been years since I'd been there -- last time probably was when I was working at the Martha Washington library (part of the Fairfax County Public Library system). What is neat about both marinas is that they're across from DC so you can see a lot of the buildings and monuments in DC, and National Airport is right there, too, so you can see all the planes coming in or leaving.... really a fun place!

9. Nice, Connie! Don't wait, get a 500mm!

10. Heh, Phil!!! Actually, I'm thinking of going back down there with the 200-500mm Tamron; the pier is narrow and I don't want to take chances with a tripod and my heavy 300mm f/2.8 VR and teleconverter, but I can handhold the Tamron and since the bird isn't moving a lot should be able to nail her nicely (assuming the lighting is halfway decent -- the Tamron is a slow lens).

Ooh, yeah, I'd love to have a 500mm prime....!!!