A couple of questions

Discussion in 'Film Forum' started by gbenic, Jul 17, 2007.

1. Nagging ones, really. Are Ilford XP-2 and Kodak 400CN the only black and white films that are C41? Does it really matter who develops my film? I mean will the negatives be equal no matter where I go?

Thanks.

Edit: One more question. Is there a performance/dependability difference between 12, 24, and 36 exposure rolls?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2007
  2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    As far as I know, yes. Those two are the only chromogenic films. There might be a Fuji or generic that I don't know about though.
    If you want to decide who gets your money, yes. But the C41 process is standardized. You don't adjust it like the 'silver reduction' process used on traditional silver emulsions. C41 has a few adjustments for pushing or pulling by about one stop.
    Unless they goof up, they should be the same. Some places are sloppy about cleaning their machinery, or how they handle the negatives after processing.
    It's the same film, cut to different lengths. I prefer 24 exposure lengths if I am shooting at random, because it means I'll get to see what I did sooner. If I'm shooting something specific, and I know I'll be shooting a lot, I use the longer rolls. I haven't seen 12 exposure rolls for a while. I guess those would be good for say a portrait where you give the film to the sitter to go get developed on their own.

Or testing a setup.

3. Thank you for the information. I really appreciate it.

4. dabluedevil

dabluedevil Guest

The only time I recommend a roll of 12 is to a beginner trying to spool film for the first few times. The less there is, the better off they are, but you are not in that situation so I'd definitely say 24. It's just more economical.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.