A couple of shots from the pond this morning....

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Flew, Apr 23, 2005.

1. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Greg Giesing and I made another stop by the local duck pond this morning, and were joined this time by Patrick. It was on the chilly side, but we did get a few decent shots. Here are some examples.

All shot with the D2H / 300mm 2.8 + TC-17EII. I shot these wide open (which is f4.8 with the 1.7 TC) just to see how it would look. I was pretty pleased with the resulting DOF. The ISO setting was 320.

Two flocks of geese came in while we were there. This one came in down wind. They were coming in pretty fast. I think I got about 8 or 10 sharp shots of him as he approached. These are the two closest:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Several Mallards flew by us, but they were either behind trees, or between us and the early morning sun. Here is one that I did manage to get lined up:

[​IMG]

Not as good as UF's Snowies, but they are all we have here right now. 8)

Regards,

Frank

2. Really nice Frank. I keep coveting your shots of flying birds so I guess I will have to get off my butt and see if I can't get some of my own.

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks Gordon. You really need to make a trip down to see Harris, Gale, and Harry when you get back from Italy if you really want to get some incredible birdie shooting opportunities. ;-)

We will miss you in June while you are off gallivanting around the big boot. 8)

Frank

4. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Frank,
    All good shots (we expect nothing but the best from you), but the second is great. That guy just fills the frame perfectly! One of these days I'm going to borrow Patrick's D2H and get you to show me how to do that! Care to show me around the duckpond?

5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Leigh,

Any time. The cool thing is that with the Wimberley (either the big one, or the Sidekick), it is really a matter of hand to eye coordination, not just brute strength. I'll bet that you could give Patrcick, Greg, and I a good run for our birdie shooting money.... :wink:

Regards,

Frank

6. Greg

Greg

Apr 5, 2005
    Fayetteville, TN
    I can't match this! Good shots Frank. :(

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Very Very good Flew.

Proud of ya. You do great work, really.

8. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Greg,

I don't mean this as criticism of your cam, but just ask Patrick what a difference the D2H makes. If you are interested in trying one out, you are welcome to shoot with mine. What are you doing in the morning?

Frank

9. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    That means a lot, coming from you Gale. ;-)

Thanks,

Frank

10. I like the real shallow DOF on these gives that almost 3D look very crisp shots, I cant wait to get out an shoot but things have been so hectic I haven't had a chance.