A couple wolf pics (note, one is graphic!)

Discussion in 'Birds' started by SteveK, Mar 29, 2007.

1. SteveK

SteveK

Mar 16, 2005
    Alaska
    I'm still culling the slide files, and as I find some I like, I scan them. I'm rapidly filling a new 500G HD.

Here's a couple wolf photos, each taken in Denali NP here in Alaska. Believe it or not, the first two were shot with a 500mm handheld. I keep my camera handy just in case something pops out, and that''s exactly what these first two did, giving me only a few seconds to shoot before they were gone. I didn't have time to put the camera on a tripod; I just stuck it out the window, and fired off a burst. These were all shot on Fuji Velvia exposed at ASA 40. The last shot, of the wolf with a Dall sheep Ram was shot by my Dad when he was driving my truck out of the park after our wedding, which was held at the Kantishna Roadhouse. I had an airplane then, so we took off for our honeymoon in the plane.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Yvette

Yvette

Jan 3, 2007
    Texas
    I love the first one. That could be a poster.

3. The first one is absolutely beautiful.

4. snownow

snownow

Jul 13, 2006
    so cal
    Wow, all great. but one and three.... stunning

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Wow Steve
    You have about seen it all haven't you :>)))
    What a wonderful way to spend ones time capturing all natures greatest:>))
    Thnks
    Great images

6. Trailfinder

Trailfinder Guest

Wow - All great photgraphy - However, Number 3 - - - - - Wow!

Brad G...
    OKC/OKLA

7. Wowwww, what a life you've led!! These are fantastic - that first one is amazing, Steve. Those eyes....

8. Kim

Kim

Jun 16, 2005
    Tennessee
    #2 reminds me of my dog stalking a squirrel in the yard. I love the squinty look of his eye! All your shots are wonderful. Thanks for posting.

9. Gr8Tr1x

Gr8Tr1x Guest

Last one reminds me of what Georgetown did to the Heels last weekend.

10. SteveK

SteveK

Mar 16, 2005
    Alaska
    Yea, well Maryland, my alma mater didn't fair all that well in the tournament either! Thanks guys for the kind comments on these photos. I also like the first photo very much; I was happy when I shot it! I only had a few seconds, and the wolf disappeared into the trees. Of course the most exciting series on wolves I've seen was too far away for good photos. Wolves had killed a caribou, and a brown bear came and took it away. I watched for an hour as three wolves hassled the bear until it finally picked up the carcass and ran off into the bushes. Meanwhile, 2 more wolves came by the same area chasing another caribou. I did get some shots of tiny animals on a gray river bar; but the memories are far better!