A Crazy Coincidence...

Earlier this week, I visited Des Moines, Iowa for some photography. The last location that I visited before checking into the hotel was the Iowa Women of Achievement Bridge--a place that I photographed back in 2016. During that 2016 trip, I was pleased with one of the photographs that I captured of the bridge:

_DSC0606-HDR-Edit.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Unfortunately, this most recent visit was disappointing. I arrived at the bridge about 30 minutes before sunset and waited until 45 minutes after sunset--but the lights never went on!

I then checked into my hotel (a Hilton property). I was stunned to see my photograph of the bridge hanging on the wall of my hotel room (iPhone snap)! I pulled my picture up on the phone and compared it to the one on the wall...everything (every cloud, every reflection, every office window light) matches up precisely!

IMG_0871 (002).jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Although you probably can't tell by the picture, they did a great job with the print...super sharp and colorful. I can only assume that Hilton purchased the image from one of the stock agencies I work through. This image has sold more than 100 times...and I never know who is making the purchases.

Glenn

Last edited:
That is really cool, Glenn! I always like to look at the artwork in a hotel room, especially if it is photos rather than prints of paintings. What a surprise and undoubtedly a thrill to see your own photo displayed on the wall there! Perfect coincidence that it was in the room you had been given!

That is really cool, Glenn! I always like to look at the artwork in a hotel room, especially if it is photos rather than prints of paintings. What a surprise and undoubtedly a thrill to see your own photo displayed on the wall there! Perfect coincidence that it was in the room you had been given!
Often times, the hotel will use the same photograph for all of the rooms--or a large portion of the rooms. A Hilton hotel in Milwaukee hung one of my photographs in 20 of the rooms. Fortunately for me, they contacted me directly for that rather than an agency. Agencies take a large percentage of the revenue.

Glenn

Real Name
Walter Rowe
Earlier this week, I visited Des Moines, Iowa for some photography. The last location that I visited before checking into the hotel was the Iowa Women of Achievement Bridge--a place that I photographed back in 2016. During that 2016 trip, I was pleased with one of the photographs that I captured of the bridge:

View attachment 1687169

Unfortunately, this most recent visit was disappointing. I arrived at the bridge about 30 minutes before sunset and waited until 45 minutes after sunset--but the lights never went on!

I then checked into my hotel (a Hilton property). I was stunned to see my photograph of the bridge hanging on the wall of my hotel room (iPhone snap)! I pulled my picture up on the phone and compared it to the one one the wall...everything (every cloud, every reflection, every office window light) matches up precisely!

View attachment 1687170

Although you probably can't tell by the picture, they did a great job with the print...super sharp and colorful. I can only assume that Hilton purchased the image from one of the stock agencies I work through. This image has sold more than 100 times...and I never know who is making the purchases.

Glenn
That's awesome Glenn. Congratulations! Truly an amazing coincidence.

What a wonderful story!
Thanks Mike...a photography story that I won't soon forget!
What a great surprise!!!!!! Congrats! I bet you slept well that night!
Thanks Karen...I would have slept a bit better if the fire alarm hadn't gone off at 3am!
Congratulations, Glenn. A well-deserved honor!
Thanks Jim...certainly an unexpected sight!
Much better than "baking you a cake"!
I agree! And, they also offered cake down in the lobby.
It's a great shot. I can totally understand why they would use it.
Thanks Bill
That's awesome Glenn. Congratulations! Truly an amazing coincidence.
Thanks Walter...a stunning coincidence!
Great story and photograph Glenn.
Thank you, Louis
Great image, super story.
Thanks Gordon
A stunning photo and a neat story to go with it!
Thank you, Bill
For the record, I wouldn't have been impressed with this story if you had seen the bridge that day but not the last thing before going to the hotel. :D
I know...it was the frosting on the cake!
Congratulations Glenn!

It’s a beautiful photo.
Thanks Richard

Glenn

Superb shot, I didn't recognise the bridge, which I had to Google, built in 2010, I haven't been to Des Moines since 1998.
Thanks! I think the bridge added a lot to the Des Moines skyline.
The is WAY COOL and a very nice image.
Thanks David
Awesome story Glenn!
Thank you, Joseph
That's a great story. I've often wondered where those stock images end up.
Thanks Mitch…I have found some of my photos in unexpected places: on book covers, CD covers, in gift shops, on the wall of a ****’s Sporting Goods, in newspaper ads and magazines, etc.

Glenn

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom