A Crazy Coincidence...

Real Name
Ken St John
Great story and an impressive image. Well done!!

I have a question ... although I have only sold a few $$ worth of stock images (literally about enough to by a tank of gas) I had submitted a nice image I had of Mt Rainier, Puget Sound, and downtown Tacoma. It was rejected because in the foreground you could read the name sign for a restaurant. Said if I didn't have a signed release, it would not be accepted. (I took a shortcut and erased the sign and they were happy!). I see that "Wells Fargo Arena" is visible in your image, did you have to get a release, etc?

Ken

Last edited:
Great story and an impressive image. Well done!!

I have a question ... although I have only sold a few $$ worth of stock images (literally about enough to by a tank of gas) I had submitted a nice image I had of Mt Rainier, Puget Sound, and downtown Tacoma. It was rejected because in the foreground you could read the name sign for a restaurant. Said if I didn't have a signed release, it would not be accepted. (I took a shortcut and erased the sign and they were happy!). I see that "Wells Fargo Arena" is visible in your image, did you have to get a release, etc?

Ken
Thanks Ken

It's kind of a gray area. Sometimes an agency will reject an image due to the presence of a sign or brand within the frame. I've had large panoramic photos of the Chicago skyline rejected because a sign on a building could be read when zoomed into 200%!

Most often, images such as this one will be accepted because the sign is not an integral element of the picture--it is not the primary subject. Additionally, this was submitted as an editorial image and therefore cannot be used for commercial purposes (to promote a brand or service). The editorial restriction usually gives me a lot more leeway in boosting my portfolio but at the expense of limited use for the buyer.

Since the subject of this image is the bridge...and then the Des Moines skyline...the Wells Fargo Arena element falls well below those other two as the subject of the photo. I wouldn't have been entirely surprised if the photo agency would have demanded a release from the architect of the bridge (fortunately they didn't request that).

Glenn

Real Name
Ken St John
Thanks Ken

It's kind of a gray area. Sometimes an agency will reject an image due to the presence of a sign or brand within the frame. I've had large panoramic photos of the Chicago skyline rejected because a sign on a building could be read when zoomed into 200%!

Most often, images such as this one will be accepted because the sign is not an integral element of the picture--it is not the primary subject. Additionally, this was submitted as an editorial image and therefore cannot be used for commercial purposes (to promote a brand or service). The editorial restriction usually gives me a lot more leeway in boosting my portfolio but at the expense of limited use for the buyer.

Since the subject of this image is the bridge...and then the Des Moines skyline...the Wells Fargo Arena element falls well below those other two as the subject of the photo. I wouldn't have been entirely surprised if the photo agency would have demanded a release from the architect of the bridge (fortunately they didn't request that).

Glenn
Thanks, Glenn!!

Ken

That coincidence is amazing, but it does result from your outstanding photo. I have spent many nights in hotels. As I look at those stock photos, I know I have seen better IMHO, but it comes down to the decorator and their taste. This was a perfect fit for that hotel

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom