A crazy idea

New to this forum. 6 years ago I abandoned Nikon for Leica, then Sony, then Fuji (I was wealthier than I am now and knew less. about photography than I do now). About a month ago I was reviewing my photos from the last Nikon I owned (the D3S) and they were the most beautiful images yet. So I went out and bought a beat up D3S that had had its shutter replaced for 400 Euros. 3 days ago I reached a set of photos taken with the 200mm f2 VR 1 (I rented it for a trip). And now I just have to have that lens. Problem is that I am now dirt poor. If I sell every piece of photographic equipment I own, I might just be able to afford it. I shoot some street and some environmental portraiture and my plan is to use the lens for both. It's an insane idea, I know but I don't think I'll rest until I have tried it. I'll be thrilled If I come away with a tenth of the keepers I currently get. If I had it I think I would shoot it every day. A beat up D3S and the chubster - the stuff of dreams!

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
New to this forum. 6 years ago I abandoned Nikon for Leica, then Sony, then Fuji (I was wealthier than I am now and knew less. about photography than I do now). About a month ago I was reviewing my photos from the last Nikon I owned (the D3S) and they were the most beautiful images yet. So I went out and bought a beat up D3S that had had its shutter replaced for 400 Euros. 3 days ago I reached a set of photos taken with the 200mm f2 VR 1 (I rented it for a trip). And now I just have to have that lens. Problem is that I am now dirt poor. If I sell every piece of photographic equipment I own, I might just be able to afford it. I shoot some street and some environmental portraiture and my plan is to use the lens for both. It's an insane idea, I know but I don't think I'll rest until I have tried it. I'll be thrilled If I come away with a tenth of the keepers I currently get. If I had it I think I would shoot it every day. A beat up D3S and the chubster - the stuff of dreams!
Yes, the D3S still rocks... (y)

Have fun shooting
Klaus

Congrats on the D3S. It's normally blasphemous to try and talk anyone out of a 200 f2 but maybe consider a cheap beater 80-200 AFS while money is tight? Unlike other lenses with serious focus breathing issues, the 80-200 is a legit 200mm at the long end and images from it look amazing. Optically, it lacks nothing against newer 70-200's. I'll argue that there is no better "bang for the buck" lens in existence. If it's a non squeaker, you could easily turn around and resale it when it's time for the 200 f2.

But yes, a D3S and a Chubster is a thing of beauty.

Our daughter-in-law still uses a couple of D3S bodies she has had for years, she really likes them. I gave her my D800, she sold it saying she liked her cameras better.
I definitely like my D3S better than my D800. I think I could possibly give the D3S up for a D850, but not for a D800. I bought the D800 to be a 1.5X teleconverter that doesn't lose a stop of light and can also be used as an extra full frame body when needed. Being full frame with much better ISO performance, it did finally give me the confidence to part with my D2Xs.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom