1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

A critique of the Rule of Thirds

Discussion in 'Composition, Techniques and Tutorials' started by Palouse, Jul 11, 2018.

1. West

West

Jan 2, 2012
    Vancouver BC
    Don't know about that, the rule of thirds is a very important tool in composition. It usually pays to shoot loose to allow for future subject positioning withing a frame for maximum impact.

2. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    I agree with responders who categorize this as "click bait" or "almost useless video" or

"haha...deeply flawed video. it does nothing to support its central premise. Many of the images used to demonstrate other compositional techniques in his 'canon' also fit perfectly well into ROTs composition. This is information to be ignored. I take strong exception to the article author's quote "it is probably the most important video on YouTube for any one beginner in photography who wants to learn about composition". Really?"

3. Ann_JS

Ann_JS

Feb 18, 2015
    New York State
    I studied at Art School (photography) and the interesting thing is that "Rules of Composition" were never mentioned — except as being treated as a bit of a joke!

We were simply expected to be able to "Compose" intuitively without analyzing why we did what we did.

I am guessing that those who couldn't "see" Shapes and Proportions instinctively had not succeeded in gaining a place on the course.

I am of the opinion that this ability cannot be taught — it is something which you are born with.

A London Art Director who I knew had a simple way of weeding-out job-applicants: he would give them a couple of pieces of L-shaped cards and a wax pencil and ask them to mark-up some Contact Sheets for subsequent enlargement.
    The results enabled him to see immediately if the applicant had a sense of design and proportion or not.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  4. Love it! (y)(y)(y)

• Like Like x 1
  5. I'm NOT a fan of rules. The few I know of I prefer to think of as tools--as in the right tool for the job. Some tools I invent :LOL: :rolleyes: 

An image I "prepared" for an earlier "discussion" here about the rule of thirds and other "lines on the picture" rules:

_DSC2678_DxO.

In case you are confused, the building on the left edge of the frame is an old Finish sauna. It is obviously the most important subject in the picture, after all it is a sauna! And it was carefully and deliberately placed there before I shot, so as to not be touched by any of the red lines. :happy: :happy: :happy: 

6. The stagnant image at the start of the video is titled 10 Myths. Click the video to start it and it becomes 10 Myth's (incorrectly including the apostrophe). Such slipshod production that displays so little interest in the viewers was enough to convince me that I had no interest in watching any more of it.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Long sigh.....

Rule of thirds is just one tiny parameter that may or may not be used to discuss, analyze, or compose an image.

Ok, starting a new thread.....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.