A cure for Lens Lust Disease???

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Uncle Frank, Jun 9, 2005.

1. I went to the largest camera store in California yesterday... Keeble & Suchat in Palo Alto... and spent a total of $6. I really only need to spend $3 for a DK-10 eyecup for my d70, but I decided to buy a second one for insurance. I walked carefully around the mountains of glorious glass. But then I tried out the Tamron 18-200, and had a twinge of LLD.

Lens Lust Disease has become part of the vocabulary on several Nikon forums. That's neat, because I think I may have invented the term (but not the disease) in my post of 7/3/04:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1030&message=9634305

I've got a bad case of it, but it's in remission at the moment. When I tried out the Tamron 18-200, I was impressed with the range, but then I realized it nearly duplicates coverage I already have. And how could I use the Tamron for a wide shot when I could be using my 20mm/2.8?

or for normal range when I have The Beast (28-70/2.8 )
    View attachment 10220

or my 80-200/2.8 for tele work?
    View attachment 10221

And there's no way I'd take a macro without using my 60/2.8 micro.
    View attachment 10222

An 18-200 would be convenient... but I wouldn't use it. You never can tell when you'll accidentally run into an opportunity for a great shot, and it would be a sin not to use good glass to take it.

Does this mean I'm cured of LLD?

2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    But Frank!!

What about those times you need to pick up and travel light - unable to take four lenses with you. Or that you knew you wouldn't have time to change the lens. Don't you think you deserve to see if a second-tier, one-lens kit could work in some situations?

I wish I had a real innocent looking avatar right now.

3. Not for me. I proved it with the 70-300 ED, which is a very fine lens. I kept it as my lightweight zoom for 6 months after I bought the bulky 80-200, and only used it once. The compromise in performance wasn't worth the convenience.

Just don't call me "sweet" anymore :evil:.

4. Igor

Igor

May 15, 2005
    Ukraine, Europe
    #3 is a wonderful capture!!

5. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    :shock: No one would accuse you, the Cafe axeman, of being sweet! I said your #1 choice of event to photograph your mom's birthday was sweet. :roll:

Now to the lens at hand... Doesn't the sheer range of an 11X zoom get it some play though? I'm thinking like at a fair, or a riot - something where you could need ultra wide for three shots, but some little thing happens right in the middle of taking them. Bam - 200mm, then Shloop - right back to wide. Time lapse, 0.9 seconds.

6. Yes, if you're going to specialize in riots, the 18-200 would be neat... but only daytime riots. Its max aperture at the long end is only 6.3, and it probably needs to be stopped down to f/8 to give good results.

But you don't need that much range for fairs, and the 28-70 is pretty sweet :).

7. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    You totally win the aperture=quality argument.

I tried gho's 28-70 last week. It made wonderfully etched sharp images, swimming in well saturated color. And 28's wide enough to do decent full length shots, while 70 does a face very well. Did you see this one from my soca-vaca?
    [​IMG]

On the other hand it weighs almost as much as my Volkswagen. I wasn't able to hold it nearly as still as I wanted, but I'm sure I could learn to.

And there's the aperture. It's only f/2.8, so night riots are out. Nightime still needs fast primes I think.

Oh, and I'm sure your lens does a sweet fair, but don't tell it I said so. :twisted:

8. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

I haven't looked at the Tamron lens, but I have the Nikon 28-200 G lens, which in someways is a waste of my money and space in my bag since I have a Sigma 24- 70 F2.8, 70-200 HSM EX F2.8, and a Sigma 70-300 Super APO Macro so I have the range of my 28-200 covered.
    But when I want to travel lightly and have a lot of range, the lens just rocks.

9. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

There is no cure of LLD. Remissions, yes. Cure, no.

10. Frank,

I had the Tamron 28-300 and traded it in. I was disappointed on a trip to Italy in 2004. I figured it would suffice instead of a bulky TP. It was soft at the longer ranges. I wound up making do with the 24-85 f/2.4 for the rest of the trip.

Rich

11. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Ahh, but the answer here is a second body, not an all-in-one zoom. :)

12. I agree, Jeff. I tried to buy a d200 when I visited Keeble & Suchat, but they were out of stock :wink:.

13. Frank i really like the father and son picture, as for the D200, I don't think Nikon make announcement on major equipment outside of PMA or Photokina.

14. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Heh. You know it's getting to the point where the D200 is so overdue I've actually started contemplating how I can save up enough for a D2X...

15. Jeff,

Same boat here. But contemplation ended when I called Berger Bros. and have been the happiest photographer for past two months.

16. posted this on teh dpreview thread but thought that you folks here would appreciate it
    I'm sorry, but LLD is in 99.999% of all cases Terminal.

The only known cure is extremely rare, and only works if you also have all of the following lenses:

12-24 f/4 DX, 17-35 f/2.8, 17-55 f/2.8 DX, 28-70 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8 VR, 200 f/2 VR, 300 f/2.8 VR, 400 f/2.8, 200-400 f/4 VR, 500 f/4, 600 f/4, 50 f/1.4/1.8, 85 f/1.4, 105 f/2.8 Micro, 105 f/2 DC, 135 f/2 DC, 200 f/4 Micro, 60 f/2.8 Micro, 28 f/1.4, 20,24,28 f/2.8, 35 f/2, and finally, that ever desired masterpiece, the MF Noct-Nikkor 58mm f/1.2 AI-S

The cure for LLD is not covered at present by any insurance company, but I'm working to change that.
    The cure consists of the elusive.....
    MF Zoom-Nikkor 1200-1700mm f/5.6-8.0P ED-IF
    Which is approx. 3 feet long, 35 pound, with a diameter of over 9 inches.
    http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/speciallenses/12001700mm.htm

IT has not been used in sufficient numbers for a positive conclusion, but preliminary results indicate a 100% success rate.

17. Francis

Francis

May 7, 2005
    Belgium
    Uncle Frank,

I use the Sigma 18-200 as a walk around lens, this is a picture I took of my brother talking to someone else in a restaurant....... I think the Sigma is incredibly sharp here and the picture is NOT cropped :

http://users.skynet.be/Francis/D70/Hans.jpg

18. Very nice, Francis. But it's hard to judge lens sharpness from a portrait, and even harder if it's a flash shot. Due to the strong micro shadows and highlights produced by a strobe, all flash pictures give the impression of being sharp.