1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

A D1X tidbit

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by Dennis Carter, Jul 2, 2007.

1. Dennis Carter

Dennis Carter

Jun 29, 2007
    USA
    I found this interesting, tho' you D1X'ers may have already known this.

From Phil Askey's review of the D1X...

"D1X also supports a 2.74 megapixel image size which is of higher quality than the 2.74 megapixel image from the D1/D1H (though frame rates remain 3 fps despite this lower resolution)"

And...

"Choose the medium size (2000 x 1312 - D1 dimensions) and you're getting the equivalent of a red/green or blue/green pixel pair per output pixel, this results in very sharp and super-clean images (even at high sensitivity)."

Has anyone taken advantage of this feature? If so, did you like the results?

2. if I knew what it meant, I'd try it.....is that two different choices, or are they the same, the two mentioned in the article?
    thanks

3. It's one of the JPEG sizes I think it is the medium resolution I could look in my users manual but I'm pretty sure I am right.

Phillip.

Ps the d1x has the best JPEG engine of all the nikon bodies in my humble opinion and is great even at ISO 800.

4. Dennis Carter

Dennis Carter

Jun 29, 2007
    USA
    I do not have a D1X, but as I understand it, you have 2 options for image size. I believe Askey is saying that if you chose the smaller size, then the pixels are doubled-up...kinda, sorta. The result being a 2.7MP image with much richer colors, and...hmmmm...cleaner(?) (read: less noise?).

5. husawis

husawis Guest

Phillip - you are correct "medium" is a resolution choice for JPEG and I believe for TIFF as well, but not NEF. If its any help its on pages 58-59 of the manual. This is a great suggest for those shooting other than NEF. For me though NEF still offers the upsizing to ~10 MP and I find playing with that gives me clean photo at 800 reliably.

6. smodak

smodak

Jun 11, 2007
    Franklin MA US
    Phillip: IMHO, the d40/d50 has the best Jpeg engine and the D1H (not X) is not far behind.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.