1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

A D200 for only $409.99!?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by Wolfie, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Wolfie

Wolfie

Jun 16, 2008
    Hazel Green, AL
  2. Ruff Draft

Ruff Draft

Sep 2, 2007
    Michigan
    They're not a good company to deal with, sadly.

3. Wolfie

Wolfie

Jun 16, 2008
    Hazel Green, AL
    whew,

thats good to know, because that'd be just my luck!

4. Wolfie

Wolfie

Jun 16, 2008
    Hazel Green, AL
    What is a good online business to get lenses for my D40? currently i'm only looking around Ritz, Adorama, and...um... *cough* amazon *cough*

5. LDB415

LDB415

Apr 26, 2008
    Texas
    How can there still be people in this digital age of interstellar communications who don't know if it sounds too good to be true it isn't? :confused:  :confused: 

6. yendikeno

yendikeno

Mar 31, 2008
    CA
    Try B&H, Beach Camera, BuyDig (sister store with Beach). All are reputable stores with good ratings.

7. snegron

snegron

Jul 29, 2007
    SW Florida
    When buying camera equipment new, I only buy from B&H. They have great customer service and they don't play those bait and switch games that other stores do. It may look on paper that they are more expensive than the others by a few dollars, but they are true to their word. That is the price and you don't have to buy other ridiculous items to get to a "good price" as other retaliers make you do. I have also been to the actual B&H store in New York. They are a class act retailer!

I get used stuff from KEH. They are ok provided you don't have to get a refund for something. It takes an extremely long time for them to refund your purchase.

I have had negative experiences with Ritz (with several of their actual stores and the online store) and Adorama.

As far as the price drop for the D200, we all knew it was going to happen. I just hope that many will remember how great the D200 was!

8. +1 for B&H bought my 50mm 1.8 from them. fast shipping and great reputation.

BuyDig is great as well, they always have stuff a few bucks cheaper then other places I find. bought my camera from them.

9. MMarz

MMarz

Sep 15, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Tim, with deals like that, when they say "body only" they mean "only the body!!"

You'll typically pay extra for the battery, the body cap, strap, cords, charger and even the d-rings for the strap!!

After all the smoke clears, you end up paying more than what a box kit would cost from a reputable place like B&H

10. LDB415

LDB415

Apr 26, 2008
    Texas
    B&H is good but not the only place to consider. Adorama, Beach, KEH, and Roberts are also absolutely reliable businesses.

11. Wolfie

Wolfie

Jun 16, 2008
    Hazel Green, AL
    Thanks for all the advice all! It just blew my mind to see a D200 (be it only the body) for less then my D40 kit.

anyways, the D200 is marked at $999 brand new right?

12. MMarz

MMarz

Sep 15, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Absolutely agree... Just grabbed a common vendor from my memory. My preference, based on impeccable experiences and great staff is, without question..Berger Brothers.

Depending on how you look at it, it is either fortunate or unfortunate that my house is minutes from their Amityville, NY locations, and my office is minutes from the Syosset, NY location!!

13. If that was actually true then it would still be a good deal. Let's see
    1) Battery - already have 3 EN-EL3e's don't need more. Even if I did, I can buy them used for around $25 each here
    2) Body cap - when was the last time you used one? If you need it, you can buy it for under $10 from eBay
    3) Cords - ditto. I have a reader that I always use. The only time I need the cord is for Camera Control Pro. I have also discovered that nowadays many smartphones use the exact same USB cable, and I could not give a hoot about the video cable.
    4) Strap - usually never bother unpacking mine. Optech Classic with Pro Loops is the name of the game for me
    5) Charger - have one left over from a dead D70. If not, you can buy one used from eBay for under $50.

When everything is said and done, if they are willing to sell a completely stripped down body with USA warranty for $409, it is still a great deal. Sadly, they will not sell you that body unless you buy all the stuff you need from them, at 5x the prices listed above.

14. snegron

snegron

Jul 29, 2007
    SW Florida
    What I don't understand is how they get away with this? Doesn't Nikon monitor what its retailers are doing when it comes to selling and representing their products?

I am not a business graduate or anything remotely like that, but I would think that a company like Nikon would want to make sure that consumers are getting what they packed at the factory. If Average Joe buys a brand new D300 from one of these retailers and is actually able to get it without the strap, battery, software, body cap as it was originally packed at Nikon, wouldn't Average Joe spread the word that Nikons do not come complete or are not packaged as complete as Canons or Pentax's? I would think that these retailers are risking Nikon's reputation by selling these incomplete cameras and if I worked at Nikon, this would concern me.

I wonder if these retailers are even allowed to offer these cameras as incomplete items? I know that there are companies out there that are viscious when it comes to people selling their licensed products (like Disney for example). These companies will go after retailers no matter what their size if they misrepresent their products. Why doesn't Nikon go after these scam retailers?

15. MMarz

MMarz

Sep 15, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    You're kidding, right? I use body caps all the time.. I take lenses off after every shoot and store the bodies lens-less. My TC's all use body caps. My Extension tubes all use body caps.

You took me quite literally... The idea is that these crooks but a retail box from Nikon, break it apart and charge you more for the components than you would pay if you bought the full box kit. For someone new to dSLR's, it can be a costly mistake. For someone with an extensive kit, it might be a worthwhile deal.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.