a D40 and some half-decent glass

:wink:

449764192_hdjJR-X2.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Clockwise from bottom left: 28-105, 10.5DX fisheye, Tokina 11-16, 18-55VR, 18-135, 17-55DX, 70-300VR, 70-200VR

I come from humble beginnings, and I really am I down to earth guy. To those of you just starting out, if you want to keep your costs associated with this hobby to a minimum, do not dare to even mount pro glass on your camera. Just stick with a D40 and one or two of the kit lenses and be happy. You see what's happened to me now since the first time I did that? Now I've gone and bought an even more expensive lens and ruined myself yet again! Ah, the 70-200VR. the sharpness! the color! the speed! the dreamy bokeh! the lighting fast focusing and tracking! the build quality! ah, it's all to die for, and worth all of the things I sold to get it, including my soul lol. My D80, the grip, my old Tokina 28-70, a 77mm 500D, and some other misc stuff, plus some birthday money. Oh this lens is HOT! :eek:

Some sample shots from the 70-200. Yes, I'm shooting this on my D40, LOL. :biggrin:

DSC_9414d-vi.jpg

DSC_9606df-vi.jpg

DSC_9746-vi.jpg

wife is off with her sis and our daughter shopping, so I used this gas line marker for a test portrait shot, lol. OH BABY!! Look at that dreamy background and the color and POP!
DSC_9745-vi.jpg

COMPLETELY RUINED, YET AGAIN! :tongue:

I love all of my other lenses. I've bought and sold lots of them now, but these are the keepers. The 28-105 I use as a walkaround for my F100 and for macro shooting on my D40. The 10.5 is a great little lens and very unique. I was almost going to sell it, but there are enough shots I've gotten with this thing that I couldn't have gotten with any other lens that I decided to keep it. The Tokina 11-16 is great, backordered since it first started shipping in April. For the available light walkaround transitional light or night time shooting that I do, the fast f/2.8 aperture is great to have, and it's sharp everywhere. Probably one of the best ultra-wide lenses for DX now, and the only f/2.8 ultra-wide. Best of all, it works at 15-16mm on FX too. If you just want to keep things simple and go light, the 18-55VR is a marvelous little lens. Easily the best 18-55 to date. The VR makes up for its lack of speed, and the bokeh even looks pretty nice now too. Sharp all around. A bit bulkier, but my 18-135 is a truly great focal length range to have. Not such an extreme zoom range that you trade off image quality, but enough range that you don't find yourself needing to switch. This is one of the best kit lenses out there. Then my 17-55DX f/2.8. It seems this lens is quickly being forgotten about here with the FX bandwagon rolling, but the photos I make with this lens blow people away. Nikon's pro level glass is truly worth every penny if you can possibly afford them. All the image quality of primes, only you've got a zoom. Then the 70-300VR. This is another amazing lens. Sharp all the way out to 300mm wide open, and even the corners are still pretty good. A huge improvement over previous designs, and the VR system blows me away. No joke, I can get 1/5s or better sharp handheld shots at 300mm with this thing without a problem. I've been able to do even slower than that and still get about 1 fully sharp shot for every 2 or 3. That's incredible. I can shoot that thing in the last fading light of sunset and never need anything more than ISO 400.

I'm pretty happy with my lens kit now and have everything I need covered. :smile: I've been wanting a long fast lens for awhile and now I finally have one. The only lens I'm missing is the new AF-S 50mm f/1.4G which I have on order and will work nicely on both the D40 and F100. Eventually I'll get another cheap DSLR body so that I can better utilize all of these lenses without constantly switching. Either another D40, or maybe a D60. I love these little DSLRs and how they drive and operate, and don't really need any of the features of the more advanced bodies at this point. I get by fine without them. NICE GLASS is getting me everytime though. :redface:

Last edited by a moderator:
N

Nuteshack

Nice post. I agree, get the glass first. Bodies are secondary to the issue...

...unless you're talking full frame.:biggrin:

ya, true that ...fx is an utter game changer!

right on Steve....but no sig 30 1.4 in the mix?
:eek:

Nice stuff Steve, the 70-200 looks a bit weird on a small body but it sure does produce the goods.

P.S. 3000th post! Yay!

I hear you... at the moment I'm totally charmed with D40 + AFD 50 1.8. This combo is what I'm bringing with me everywhere. It's sooo small and cute :biggrin:. People think it's a compact p&s like fujifillm S100 lol

went to the park yesterday. Man the extra two stops made such a huge difference. f/2.8 vs constantly being at f/5.6 on my 70-300VR, along with the far tighter depth of field and creaminess. Much sharper photos too not just because of the lens, but because I could shoot at iso200-800 rather than 800-1600+. 1/500s flash sync on the D40 came in handy for a few shots too. :biggrin:

DSC_9763-vi.jpg

DSC_9765-vi.jpg

DSC_9832-vi.jpg

:Love:

Nice post. I agree, get the glass first. Bodies are secondary to the issue...

...unless you're talking full frame.:biggrin:
I just checked some old similar photos with the 70-300VR. Just not the same, the 70-200 just blows that lens outta the water for stuff like this. That's a great landscape lens that I'll still be keeping, but it just doesn't have the 'pop' needed for stuff like this.

I won't be getting a digital full frame anytime soon (maybe a D700 on clearance when a D800 is coming out) but I want to try this thing out on my F100 next. The f/2.8 will easily be enough to give me the shutter speeds I need with 400 speed film. Plus with the grip hooked up it'll probably handle a little better, LOL.

ya, true that ...fx is an utter game changer!

right on Steve....but no sig 30 1.4 in the mix?
:eek:
When I get some subjects that will actually hold still long enough and won't instantly run away or charge me as soon as they see a lens pointed at em, I'll give primes a shot again. :biggrin: I do have the AF-S 50/1.4 on pre-order though. Hopefully it'll show up in time for Christmas. Should get pretty good use on both the D40 and F100. :cool:

Nice stuff Steve, the 70-200 looks a bit weird on a small body but it sure does produce the goods.

P.S. 3000th post! Yay!
It doesn't look weird. It looks hilarious. At the park yesterday it was super nice, 70F degrees (vs the 40-50 degree weather we've been having, so there were lots of other kids and parents around. I overheard one of them saying to their spouse, OMG is that cannon? :tongue:

I hear you... at the moment I'm totally charmed with D40 + AFD 50 1.8. This combo is what I'm bringing with me everywhere. It's sooo small and cute :biggrin:. People think it's a compact p&s like fujifillm S100 lol
It's definitely a nifty combo, and manually focusing isn't as much of a pain as most people think. Still for tracking moving kids and people, I'm hoping the new AF-S version will be a winner when it comes in. :cool:

im thinkin of getting a D40 just worried about not having a focus motor in the body

The newer or more expensive lenses that have the focus motor built into it often have far more than just the motor. With the 70-300VR lens you get not only the AF-S motor, but far superior optics vs any previous 70-300 lens, and an incredibly good VR system good for at least 4 stops of hand holding ability. Well worth every penny. And with the third party lenses like Tamron, Sigma, and Tokina there's more and more stuff coming out everyday with motors built into them for Nikon mounts with the popularity of the D40 series.

The three lenses I have that don't AF on the D40 are the 28-105, the 10.5 fisheye, and the Tokina 11-16. Neither one are a pain to manually focus. The 28-105 I use for macro shooting on the D40 where you're usually manually focusing anyways. The 10.5 fisheye has such a huge depth of field that almost everything is in focus anyways. And the Tokina 11-16 is similar. In all cases the AF sensors in the camera still work. Just select the AF sensor you want to use, turn the focus ring yourself, and watch for the AF confirmation dot in the lower left hand corner of the finder. Viola. :smile:

It seems to be a deal breaker for a lot of people, but I personally don't think it's a big deal, or that it's becoming less and less of a deal every month as newer and updated lenses come out. I just don't have much of a need for the features of the more advanced bodies, so that means I have far more money to put into nice lenses which is very much my preference anyways. I sold my D80 and grip which partially funded my 70-200VR purchase. Based on the photos above, I think it was definitely the right move to make. :biggrin: Of course if you can do it all and have both the fancy bodies and the fancy glass, more power to ya.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom