A d700 and a small prime

The d700 is a terrific full featured camera for for weddings, studio, and other professional work. But if you want to use it for casual photography without being conspicuous, just take off the battery grip and mount a small lens on it. For some, a small lens means a zoom with something less than an f/2.8 aperture... perhaps a 24-85/3.5-4.5. For me it means a midrange prime.

I was a guest at a small housewarming party on Saturday, and my rig consisted of the d700, AF-S 60/2.8G, and sb400. That's as inconspicuous as I can get without sacrificing image quality or functionality. Here's some samples.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

You just can't beat a prime... Well done..
But hey, a Polaroid, do they still make film for those... :eek:...
Now was the IQ from her shot of you as good as your shot of her... :rolleyes:...
Maybe not... LOL... :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:...

Before I even opened this thread I knew which lens it was going to be. You do magic with that 60mm Frank! :smile:
+1

But could it be that the WB is a little off at pic #3 and the polaroid pic?

BTW, I am thinking more and more of retiring my old 60 AFD micro and getting the newer one since the regularly show up used now.

Thanks for the feedback and encouraging comments!

Wally and Jeff, the party was hosted by the real estate agent, and she's the one with the polaroid. I was surprised at how poor the image quality was, though I guess some would admire it as a classic look.

Joey, guess I'm just too predictable. Maybe that's why I can never get away with anything at home.

Walt, I let Lightroom chose the WB for this set. It looks OK on my laptop, but I'm not surprised that all of them aren't accurate. As you may know, I swapped my old 60 micro for the new af-s version. It's a much better all-around performer, but I've missed its vintage Nikkor signature. I'm just starting to love the new version.

I was thinking the same thing, they seem a bit overly green here.
There's an easy solution that never misses. I'll just process them all like this. :wink:

There's an easy solution that never misses. I'll just process them all like this. :wink:

WOW. Fool proof processing and gorgeous eyes to die for...:smile:

Lovely pictures Uncle Frank, you've pushed me to the edge on the 60mm G, i now am saving for one.

Ive always loved how your portraits came out with the 60mm and thats what id love to use this lense for plus the walkaround/macro factor is awesome.

Thanks for pointing out the WB problems. I finally got around to reviewing the settings, and have (hopefully) corrected these two pictures to your satisfaction.

Lovely pictures Uncle Frank, you've pushed me to the edge on the 60mm G, i now am saving for one.

Ive always loved how your portraits came out with the 60mm and thats what id love to use this lense for plus the walkaround/macro factor is awesome.
Thanks, Josh.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom