A Daily Ritual

Ever since I married my husband 40 years ago, he has loved to read the newspaper every day....in fact, he just loves to read. You'll find him in his favorite chair every evening reading something!! (PS can I just add that he is the best!!)

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

A very sentimental narrative and photo that deserve each other. It's also nice to know that I'm not the only person who still reads something printed on paper.
There are a few of you left....I always choose reading on my iPad over a printed book, but not him. I told him the other day....all he needs to be happy is a newspaper and a book and he agreed with me.

Sadly, there are few newspapers worthy of reading today. Excellent character study with that photo. Without your comments the photo told the story. I see a kindred spirit.
He only reads our small hometown paper. I’m glad you liked the photo. If you think you might be a kindred spirit to him then you are one great person!

Excellent photo, Terri. The lighting is near perfect. And you are obviously learning your way around that new camera. Is your 50mm the older AF-D version?

Our local paper is the Roanoke Times. It is a very good paper compared to most for a city of its size. Unfortunately they now have a very hard time finding delivery carriers. We used to read it with breakfast; now it's a lunchtime paper. :(

p.s. this would be an excellent entry for this week's CS.

Excellent photo, Terri. The lighting is near perfect. And you are obviously learning your way around that new camera. Is your 50mm the older AF-D version?

Our local paper is the Roanoke Times. It is a very good paper compared to most for a city of its size. Unfortunately they now have a very hard time finding delivery carriers. We used to read it with breakfast; now it's a lunchtime paper. :(

p.s. this would be an excellent entry for this week's CS.
Our paper comes in the morning, but since Greg has to leave for work at 5:00 a.m., it has to wait till evening. My 50 mm is one I bought a couple of years ago. It is the 50 F1.8 G. It works flawlessly on the Z6 and with the FTZ is still very small and light. I doubt if I ever replace it with the native Z 50.

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Wonderful photo and essay regarding Greg and his reading habits. Glad the 6 is working well with the 50 and converter.

Very nice photo! I too was a daily paper reader until about a year ago. It seemed like every article was an editorial and I tired of it. I took my paper with me to work and read it at lunch every day. I used to get funny looks from people when I took out the paper and started reading it. Especially younger people (adults). I think they thought, "why pay for a paper and create all that waste, when you can just read the news for free on your phone." I kind of miss the paper, but not enough to start subsidizing their editorials they pass off as news.

Real Name
Andy
Ever since I married my husband 40 years ago, he has loved to read the newspaper every day....in fact, he just loves to read. You'll find him in his favorite chair every evening reading something!! (PS can I just add that he is the best!!)

View attachment 1635488
I really like this image. While we all take snapshots of family members, this image is much more than that. Even without your caption, it tells a deeper story. That makes it a true portrait. Very nicely done!

What a terrific image, Terri! Kudos to Greg for still being a persistent reader and to you for having captured such a great photo of him!

I read my local paper (The Washington Post) every day -- online. I just find it easier to do so and I don't have to fool around with piles of newsprint accumulating for the recycling bin... Occasionally I also take a look at the NYT online, too. However, that said, I AM still very much a reader of print books -- hardcover and softcover -- even though I have iPhones and iPads which can easily serve as mechanisms for this, too. I prefer real books because they offer something more to my senses (smell, touch, vision) than holding an iPad, and they can go more places, too. I wouldn't dream of taking my iPad out to the pool in the summer or taking it with me as i get into the bathtub for a lovely long leisurely soak.... A real book? Yes, indeed!

I do keep a few books on my iPad and iPhone, though, and have read them when on trips as that IS easier and less weighty than toting along a book or two in the luggage..... Because I am an avid reader and also a retired librarian I like to support my local public library by checking out fiction and biographies from there; I do buy books but try to restrict myself to only those to which I would refer again and again, such as books on photography or other topics in which I am interested. A novel which I"m likely to only read once -- go to the library, get it there. A book which is an interesting and informative guide to digital photography or to a camera model I've just bought or simply photography in general, I would rather purchase and keep so that I can refer to it again and again.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom