A Day at the Horse Track

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Anthony747, Jul 14, 2007.

1. Hi All,
    The weather was perfect today so I headed to my local track (Monmouth Park, NJ) for some shots. I’m not much of a gambler and my friends find it odd that I go to the track just to take photos, I’m sure you photographers understand (I did loose $20). CC welcomed I’m hoping to photograph the 2007 Breeders Cup for my local newspaper at this track in October.

Thanks, Anthony

Equipment: D200, Nikkor 70-200mm VR

[​IMG]

track5a.

[​IMG]

track4a.

track6a.

[​IMG]

2. The panning in shot #2 is very well done. Nice photo.

3. ya #2 rocks, Great detail and motion all at the same time

4. Very nice! Great job on the panning. I'm headed to my local track tomorrow to do the same. $3 to get in and shoot all you want.

5. nipprdog

nipprdog

Jun 8, 2006
    IN
    great images, and nice variety.

as others have said, the panning shot is excellent.

6. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Good job, I like these images alot. The composition of the first is real nice and the red in his jacket helps to make the image pop. I also have to compliment you on your panning technique and the use of an ideal shutter speed to stop action, but to maintain some motion blur in the horse's legs. This is a real nice series of images, thanks for sharing.

7. Nice going Anthony. I like #2 alot. Were you able to get reasonably close or did you have to crop? Did you have any trouble getting in with your equipment?

8. haze2

haze2

Mar 18, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Well done Anthony. I enjoyed every one of these shots!

9. Thank you Joe, Lex and David!

Anthony

10. Thanks Frank! I never thought about panning at the track until someone here suggested it.

Anthony

11. Hi Larry, These shots are not cropped at all except for the program hand shot. This is a great track for shooting because you can get real close to the action. No problem bringing in my equipment (D200 and 70-200mm VR), you can even bring a cooler with food and beer if you like :)

Thanks, Anthony

12. Thanks haze!