A day at the races....

Discussion in 'People' started by leahp26, Aug 4, 2008.

1. leahp26

leahp26

Apr 28, 2008
    Southern NH
    Hello all

Just got back from first trip ever to races at Saratoga - pretty fun weekend - my friend's dad has a partial share in a racehorse so we were able to go to the barns, see behind the scenes etc.

I'll be upfront now and say that I wasn't putting a whole lot of effort into the people shots - it was a long day with a number of beverages involved - so I used a "glamour glow" Nik effect to disguise my inability to focus on more than one person at a time :) 

#1 First up is me and husband looking rather smart for a Saturday afternoon - is it weird to do Sonya's eye pop technique on yourself?!!
    If you think my face looks red in this image, you should have seen it SOOC
    p381647038-4.

#2 Friend and his new girlfriend - DOF not used wisely, she is soft and OOF and I have some terrible hotspot thing happening on her teeth.
    p250034948-4.

#3 Friend's mom celebrating win, not great technically but I just liked the excitement!
    p20008730-4.

#4 Horses out of the gate
    p423728550-4.

#5 Friend's new girlfriend - again bad DOF - only one eye in focus. Plus BLEW out background big time :-(

p20930365-4.

Looking at these before I post, my white balance seems to be all over the place. I think my objectives for this week are to a)buy a calibration device for my monitor b)start reading up on shooting RAW and consider making the switch sometimes soon....

Thanks for looking/commenting - don't be shy!

2. BarkisPhoto

BarkisPhoto

Jul 20, 2007
    New England
    Hi, Leah -- looks like a good time was had by all! Your objectives are good: monitor calibration is the key to success when you're trying to get your images to print as you see them on the monitor. And, raw might help you in cases where you have blown highlights -- although even in raw you can blow them badly enough that they cannot be recovered :eek: 

Best Regards,

3. nice shots
    love the HOT SPOT ON THE TEETH....
    looks like a magazine ad for some TEETH WHITENING PRODUCT.... :biggrin:

i really enjoyed this
    looks like you had a great day

4. leahp26

leahp26

Apr 28, 2008
    Southern NH
    John - thank you - you have us figured out - it was a v good time! I am looking into the calibration devices now and have seen worrying reports of magenta with the huey(?) device - I'm thinking one of the Spyder models seems like a good option. I am thinking RAW might help me with my white balance - the difference in skin tone between #1 and #2 seems quite huge! I think I need to re-read "Understanding Exposure" again to prevent my blown highlights! ;-)

Greg - thank you for your comments, it was a great day! I like your positive spin on my disastrous blown highlight teeth! I have ordered a (small!) print for them to try to minimize the blown parts!! :) 

5. Matthias

Matthias

Apr 13, 2007
    Central Texas
    I know you know the issues with #2 but it still is a captivating smile which draws one in.

6. Mart61

Mart61

Dec 23, 2006
    Camberley, UK
    A great series Leah!

7. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Wow #1 and #2 are good images. Looks like you had some fun.

8. BarkisPhoto

BarkisPhoto

Jul 20, 2007
    New England
    Hi, Leah --

FWIW, I've been very happy with my Spyder. I found it easy to use and the results have been quite predictable.

Best Regards,

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.