A Day at the Swamp

Discussion in 'Birds' started by HarryB, Dec 22, 2005.

1. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Hey y'all,

I haven't been posting lately because I have been swamped down here. :biggrin: After a very busy period I found myself woefully behind on my post processing. I have imposed a shooting hiatus on myself until I can get caught up. I have just finished my October shots and only have Nov. and Dec. to go now (around 3500 shots). Anyhow here's a series of a GBH from my Oct. shots.

getting around a swamp can get a tad messy
    [​IMG]

something has caught his attention
    [​IMG]

checking it out
    [​IMG]

snack time
    [​IMG]

a little flip
    [​IMG]

gulp
    [​IMG]

yeeeck!!!! that swampy after taste
    [​IMG]

a swampscape from the Viera wetlands
    [​IMG]

2. Great series Harry, we have missed your posts.

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Nice Nice Nice......

The GBH hates that green stuff...lolol I have seen them do that as well. yukkkkkk

Harry,
    Ya ready to play with the new toys :>))))))))

4. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Hi Harry...

Interesting to see Vierra with that much water in it. The one week I was there last spring, I don't recall it being anywhere near as full?

5. Great series Harry. I particularly like the second image where he is just about to thrust into the catch. Great shot! I also love the colours with the green vegetation on the water. GBH's fish by site, so how does he see his prey through that water surface?

Cheers

Tim

6. you gonna be busy! That is a lot of processing to go thru! these are great and I look forward to 3497 more!

7. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Thank you kindly gordon.

8. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Thanks Gale. I'll be interested at looking at your D200. I got Linda's ok to get one but I'm considering upgrading my glass instead.

9. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    I used a perspective that increased the feeling of a larger quantity of water than is actually there. If I had shot at an angle to make it a more accurate representation the pic would have a lot less impact.

10. SSchex

SSchex

May 18, 2005
    Louisiana, USA
    Great series of the GBH.

11. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    ut oh Harry....
    Do I hear a 300 :>))))

Ok you can play.. You can borrow it anytime you want.

12. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Thanks Tim. The GBH on a couple of occasions must have spotted some movement because it stuck its face very close to the water a couple of times before it finally struck.

13. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Thanks Dave. Hopefully I will have all my post wrok finished before Merritt III

14. Glad to see the master back in action! So what glass are you considering now? Man, you work fast. I remember Linda's reaction at lunch last week when you dropped the D200 hint at her! :wink: She sure must love you!! :smile:

15. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Thank you Scott

16. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Good series Harry. I can definitely relate to the 3,500 shots to process. It isn't hard, but it ain't nearly as much fun as the shooting part. :eek:

I have a question. You already have the 500 f4. How can you be looking to upgrade your glass?? I'd give a couple of quarts of blood and several body parts for one of those things. :rolleyes:

17. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Thank you Gale, Kevin & Frank. Right now I'm considering keeping my D100 and D2h instead of going for the D200. I would sell my 80-400, 24-120 and my 18-35. I would then buy the 17-35 2.8, the 28-70 2.8, and the 300 F4. In addition to the new lenses I would still have my 50mm 1.8, the 60mm 2.8, the Sigma 70-200 2.8, and the 500 F/4.

In the end with the sale of the lenses it would cost just about as much as buying the D200 and significantly upgrade my glass. Or I just may go for the D200.

18. Very nice series Harry. Was that a flip you captured with the Heron?

On the lens note, I too have considered the 300 F4, Kevin seems to be a master at getting the best out of that lens, looking at his postings.

Cheers

19. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Thanks Louie. I caught the GBH at the beginning of the flip.

I had a 300 F/4 brfore but sold it to help cover the purchase of the 500mm. I miss it a heck of a lot and hope to reacquire it sometime next year.