A Day by the Sea

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by Luckynp, Sep 26, 2005.

1. I went to Blackpool in the North West of England today. It's a seaside resort and it's currently the end of the holiday season, so looks a little empty and forlorn.

The town attempts to extend its season by staging the Illuminations - hundreds of illuminated tableaux which come alive after dark but look a little surreal in the daytime.

View attachment 16024

The Pleasure Beach and the piers are where you can find many tacky fairground attractions.

[​IMG]

View attachment 16025

View attachment 16026

Traditionally, donkeys give rides to young children on the beach. At this time of year there aren't many customers.

View attachment 16027

The place is popular with young and old alike...

View attachment 16028

...but sometimes it's hard to tell if they're enjoying themselves or not.

View attachment 16029

2. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Mike,

I love seeing pictures from places in the world I've never been. It's like a mini-vacation w/o the expense! lol :biggrin:

These shots are so diverse and yet, they give a complete feeling of the locale...Well done!

BTW, the character in the second shot...is he "The Hamburgler" from McDonalds??? ...he looks very familiar...

3. nice series Mike it is interesting to see montral trooper saddles on these animals. That is the prefferred saddle on the Tennessee walkers.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2005
  4. The donkeys picture is sharp and I like the colors and contrast.

5. Thanks Leigh Dave and Gilles.

I think the character is the Hamburgler. The whole of the light display seemed to be sponsored by Macdonalds and Hollands (a British manufacturer of pies).

Amongst other distinctions, Blackpool is the world centre of unhealthy eating. You can smell the cholesterol hanging heavily in the air. I walked around 3 miles along the sea front in search of something to eat which was not deep fried and failed miserably.

6. TR_Fox

TR_Fox

Jun 13, 2005
    Flagstaff AZ
    Yes I have agree love the colors in that one.

7. patrickh

patrickh

May 4, 2005
    Thousand Oaks
    Mike

Love the pics, reminds me of so many places on the coast in the UK - Blackpool was always the archetypical "seaside town". Wow it has got bigger and tackier. Shame about the grease...my memories (more than forty years ago) are of cockles and whelks, both of which I love. And the salty smell that goes with them. So much for progress.......

8. Lovely photos, Mike. Blackpool is a such an unique place.

9. Although they are all wonderful, the donkey pictures really jumped out at me. That one is my favorite.

10. Thanks everyone. This was my first conscious attempt to produce a mini photo essay.

Most people seem to like the donkey picture best. However, my wife, who was brought up in Blackpool and is an expert on beach donkeys, says it makes her a little nervous. Apparently the raised tail on the dark animal means it is about to make a deposit.