A day in Burano, near Venice, Italy !

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by JPS, Apr 25, 2007.

1. Last friday morning, i made a surprize to my wife ! We took the train from Geneva and 7 hours later we unloaded in Venice ! Right in front of the station, we got onboard of a little boat that took us to our hotel ! We then spent the rest of the day walking miiiiiiles thru the little streets of the "Serenissima", as they call the city !

Photographycally speaking, it's very difficult -almost impossible- to shoot something "new" or "different" in Venice: zillions of shots have allready been taken there by millions of photographers thru the years, but still... you just HAVE to shoot the "gondoliere" and the street-scenes !

The next day, we took another little boat (vaporetto) and we went to the island near Venice: we visited Murano, wich is worldvide known for it's glass and crystal art (my wife spent a fortune for a -very nice- vase !), and then we went to another little island of the archipelago: Burano ! This place has a different speciality: lace-works (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burano).

Another particularity of Burano is that -almost all- houses are painted in bright strong colors, all different,so it really POP's out !

Here's a few shots i took, all with the D200 and Sigma 10-20:

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

...i was VERY happy that i had brought the Sigma super-wide-angle along, because, due to the narrow sidewalk and the waters just behind you, you can't "back-up" enough to frame these houses with a "normal" lens !

Cheers,
    J-P.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2007
  2. Great series, JP!

I like all the islands off Venice. As far as I remember, Burano has the most conspicuously tilted campanile I ever saw - or was it Murano ???

Have you also been to Torcello? Very nice island, and not so flooded by tourists.

Cheers

3. Wonderful, colourful series, JP. What a nice surprise you created for your lovely missus. My favourite is the last one, do you happen to have any pictures of that bridge?

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Amazing color of buildings. All that laundry:>)))
    Super images.

5. That sigma worked very well. Wonderful series J-P.

6. wonderful event and great set of images!

7. andras gy

andras gy Guest

A beautiful sequenze of images! A beautiful journey to this suggestive place!

8. I really enjoyed these! Loved the colourful homes and the intimacy of the laundry hanging out the balconies. Thanks for sharing.

9. Hi Harry ! Yes, it's Murano's campanile that's tilted, almost as much as Pisa's Tower :wink: !

No, we have only spend two full days there, so we didn't have enough time to visit the other islands... next time for sure !

Cheers,
    J-P.

10. Hi Sandi ! Thanks for looking and commenting ! Yes, indeed my wife was very happy, as she had never been there before !

About this bridge, i haven't shot it on itself... there are more than 400 bridges in Venice, connecting the 122 littles islands of the archipelago !

Cheers,
    J-P.

11. Thanks Gale, David, Dave, Andras and Bodhan for the kind words !

I had been promising this trip to my wife for yeeeears, so i HAD to do it :wink: ! I just wish we had more time, as there are many other islands to visit there, with much less tourists, but well... three days only, in fact not even as much, as we got there on friday 4 PM and had to be back at the train station on sunday 3 PM !

Cheers,
    J-P.

12. You see, even your wife spends a lot of money for glas. :biggrin:

Nice colourful pictures!

13. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

5&6 are terrific images JP. I envy you living in Europa.

14. :tongue:

Hi Daniel ! You're right !!! ...fortunately her Murano vase wasn't as expensive as the BEAST that i bought a few months ago...

Cheers,
    J-P.

15. Love the colors! Great series. I wish I was there...

16. Thanks Antony ! I also wish i could have stayed longer, as there are many little islands near Venice, and each of them have some things different to discover...

Cheers,
    J-P.

17. Beautiful colors!! How come I didn't find anything that colorful there?

18. Hi Johnny !

Was it really Burano you went to (not to mistake with Murano, where they work on glass and crystal) ? Because the first thing you notice when you disembark is the color of the houses ! Almost every houses on this island are painted that way !

Cheers,
    J-P.