A day in Lucerne, Switzerland (10 Pics)

Just got back from my Europe tour last week. Spent a day at Lucerne and it is absolutely my favorite spot among all the cities I visited. Almost forgot to mention that this is my first trip with the OM-D (+ 4 lenses). Loving the light weight. It's absolutely going to be my travel kit for all my future trips. I think my NAS is finally cured. :biggrin:

River Reuss
OMD70673.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The Chapel Bridge
OMD70659.jpg

The Chapel Bridge from the north bank
OMD70675.jpg

The Chapel Bridge at night
P1000479.jpg

On the Bridge
OMD70710.jpg

The Lion's Monument
OMD70719.jpg

Lake Lucerne and the Alps
OMD80749.jpg

Lake Lucerne and the Alps II
OMD80736.jpg

Expensive Dinner (I paid 12 Swiss Francs for a jar of tap water!!! :eek:)
OMD70695.jpg

Fondue (Best taters I ever had)
P1000474.jpg

Thanks for looking.

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Lovely images, Kiley. I'm glad you and a great trip. And...that fondue looks fantastic!

JPS

Nice serie !

BTW, just FYI, the name of the lake is (in german) Vierwaldstättersee, or in english Lake of the 4 cantons , because it joins 4 of the Swiss cantons: Uri, Schwytz, Nidwald and Luzern !

:smile:
J-P.

Nice serie !

BTW, just FYI, the name of the lake is (in german) Vierwaldstättersee, or in english Lake of the 4 cantons , because it joins 4 of the Swiss cantons: Uri, Schwytz, Nidwald and Luzern !

:smile:
J-P.

And specifically, the four forest cantons, hence "wald".

Am I correct?

JPS

Absolutely !

BTW, I do not speak/read/understand German, despite the fact that I HAD to learn it for 4 years at school (and I was quite good at it THEN), it's been more than 50 years since I used one german word..... Living in the french speaking part of Switzerland "saves" us ! ...but in the mean time, I learned Italian -because of my mother-, and later, English, because (!) of marriages with english girls (2 of them) ! ....and ultimately (the last 17 years), Portuguese, also because (!) of my actual Brasilian wife !

Hard ways to learn foreing languages, hey ?

:wink:
J-P.

Absolutely !

BTW, I do not speak/read/understand German, despite the fact that I HAD to learn it for 4 years at school (and I was quite good at it THEN), it's been more than 50 years since I used one german word..... Living in the french speaking part of Switzerland "saves" us ! ...but in the mean time, I learned Italian -because of my mother-, and later, English, because (!) of marriages with english girls (2 of them) ! ....and ultimately (the last 17 years), Portuguese, also because (!) of my actual Brasilian wife !

Hard ways to learn foreing languages, hey ?

:wink:
J-P.

I envy your multilingual abilities, J-P.

A year ago I had just returned from Switzerland and I could name the four forest cantons, but not now. :redface:

Thanks for the info JP and Jim. The tour guide gave us a brief history of Switzerland and told us that most of the citizens are fluent with multiple languages although they don't necessarily learn them the way JP did. :biggrin: He told us how the CH was formed in 1291 and Lucerne was the last one to join. He also mentioned that there is a 'fifth' language (can't remember what it's called) that was spoken by natives.

JPS

Hi Kiley !

In fact, we have 4 OFFICIALS languages ! In order of # of people: german, french, italian and romanche ! English is NOT (of course) an official language !

This romanche is a mix of german, italian and LATIN ! It is only spoken in the canton of Grison, in the far east of Switzerland, by a few thousends of people !

BTW, the last canton that has been created was the JURA, in 1979, after years of secession by people from parts of canton of Bern (where they speak german). The official language of the Canton of Jura is french ! (That's partly why they wanted to split with Bern !)

.....and Lucerne (Luzern) entered in the Helvetic Confederation (Confoederatio Helvetica = CH) in 1332 !! It's one of the earlier cantons that started it all....

For more infos, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switzerland

School's out !

:biggrin:
J-P.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom