A day in the life - Vail, CO (quite long)

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by StL_Don, Apr 24, 2007.

1. I'm recently back from my 21st annual family ski trip to Vail and thought I'd put together a composition
    of photos representing a day in what I think of as Fantasyland because when I'm there the rest of the world just goes away :smile:

While not all shot the same day, they do represent a typical day for me while there.

I'm always the first one up in the condo. I make coffee and head out the back door to enjoy my brew and the stillness of the morning quiet.
    We're all quite spoiled having the family condo so close to the lift.:biggrin:
    original.

Before long it is time to head up the mountain
    original.

My wife Leslie on the gondola
    original.

We're off to Blue Ox which means a few more chair rides
    original.

On the way my nephew and niece can't resist a little hamming
    original.

While their father looks on.
    original.

Finally we reach our goal (that's me - Leslie gets the photo credit)
    There's no turning back from here... the only way down the mountain from this point is double-diamond!!
    original.

That's my grin of satisfaction having survived the run.
    original.

On our way back to the other side of the mountain we stop for a few more photos
    original.

Nephew Cal and me (he can ski circles around me)
    original.

original.

After all that skiing you've got to unwind in the hot tub :smile:
    original.

Which brings me back to where the day began, but with a different beverage :biggrin:
    original.

Thanks for sticking it out this far.

Don

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Excellent images
    Glad you had such a great time.

3. That is an excellent series of shots Don. Well put together that tells a great story. Especially with the way you anchored the series with the first and last shots. I really liked #11- the long distance shot showing all of the skiers.

On that last shot, is that a vodka or a gin martini?:biggrin:

4. Don, that's a wonderful series - tells the whole story and Rick just beat me to the question!! :biggrin: You need a skewer of olives in that thing!

5. You sure seem to be doing just fine figuring out how to spend your days! Very nice series Don.

6. Yep Sandi, that was the first thing I thought of too. 'Ol Don needs some olives for that baby. My wife prefers onions, but I am strictly an olive guy. You need at least 2 but 3 is even better.

Sinatra once said that you always need two olives- one for yourself and one to share with the lady you may meet later. What a guy.:wink:

Those really are some excellent shots Don. It looks like everyone had such a great time.

7. We didn't make it over to Blue Sky this year which I must confess didn't bother me too much. China Bowl gets so slushy in spring that I just hate the treck.

We had a couple good days of snow, but the beginning of the week it rained and skiing was confined to the upper parts of the mountain, and even then it got slushy at chair 2 and Mid-Vail.

Still, a bad day in Vail is still better than a good day most other places.:smile:

Don

8. Thank you Rick.

It was vodka and it had a lemon zest (I think thats what you call it) which I removed for the photo.

Don

9. Gale, David and Sandi,
    Thanks for looking, I'm glad you enjoyed them.

Don

10. Great series Don............ quality imagery of the highest standard...........

Superbly exposed and processed...........

I enjoyed looking at the series very much. Thanks for taking the time to share, what must have been, a tremedous time! :biggrin:

G

11. Great photos! I love that shot of the gondola!

12. Graeme & Francois
    Thanks for the nice comments and sorry for the slow acknowledgment.

Don

13. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    Simply perfect my friend...nice work.

14. Don,

This is a phenomenal series. Beautifully shot and wonderfully presented.

Which lens did you dare take up the mountain?? You are a far braver man than I! I'm too afraid that when I fall on my board, I'll destroy me and the camera! :redface:

15. DJ Matt

DJ Matt Guest

great series! I love the mug one

16. brownie2d2x

brownie2d2x Guest

Thanks for sharing, Don. Wonderful photos.

17. niknd501

niknd501

May 13, 2006
    Illinois
    Thanks Don....These were great...Love to see the snowey mountains...
    Now that is it getting to be summer of course...Great shots !

18. Sorry for the tardy reply Gretchen.
    I took the D200 and 18-200 Creeper (drives me nuts).

I too am usually afraid to carry a big camera but decided it was time.
    I don't fall very often (touch wood) and when I do it seldom is a face plant so I gave it a try.

Don

19. jcovert

jcovert Guest

Awesome pics!