A day with Dao and Gale

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Kevin Scott, Aug 9, 2005.

1. Met up with Gale and Dao today @ Viera. We had a fantastic day! It's always enjoyable getting to meet new people and to share photography with others who share the passion!

Here's what was waiting for us when we got out to "the tree"
    [​IMG]

Bored with him posing for us for so long....Dao & Gale turned around to shoot something else
    [​IMG]

I went down a bit to shoot this little guy (a Green Heron)
    [​IMG]

We went to Port Canaveral for lunch but then returned to find this guy sitting in "the tree". Also got to watch him dive bomb a couple of times, finally getting himself a dinner fish! I'm still determined to get one close up. Mine were from quite a distance and haven't processed them yet.
    [​IMG]

Dao & Gale stayed back to shoot a hawk and I went down the path and found this tree with a decoration or two. Looks like the Ibis took a dump on the Rosie. (Similar to what happened to Dao & Gale at lunchtime ;))
    [​IMG]

You can see the sky beginning to turn grey in this shot. One of our typical afternoon t-storms came rolling in. A bolt of lightning hit close enough to where I was that I literally felt some static charge brush across my face. We left shortly thereafter!

It was great getting to meet Dao and spend the day with him and Gale. I think Dao had a fun time too as he was all smiles when we left!

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Kevin ....

Great stuff Pal. Your images look great.

Seems to be this thing going around "Getting Dumped on" That darn fool crappin Grackle got two with one shot ...lololol Then the poor Rosey ....

Got a couple good ones of the Hawk with the snake, not as good as I wanted though. That T-Storm cloud really made it a tad dark.

Ospreys shots turned out great and the GWE. Couple of the Ibis. Forget the pelicans. Just could not get a handle on them today. Have on sad lookin one flyin. lolol I spent alot of pics practicing.

Pulled one of the Hawk between the two trees ok.

Today was a great day.. Thank you both.

Dao Is a great teacher as well. Could spend alot of time with him.. He is really quite well versed and a really wonderful person.

Really glad you got to meet him.

Lunch at the port was wonderful.. what a great treat and great food.

All in all enjoyed being with you both.

Thank you for a wonderful day.

Felt sad to say good bye. Day went was to fast.

3. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Nice shots, Kevin! Looks like it was a productive and fun day with Dao and Gale. You'll get that up close Osprey flight shot eventually -- gives you a good reason to keep going back!! lol!

4. bfjr

bfjr Guest

All I can say is what a great tree you guys have :lol: :lol: :lol:

great series enjoyed them all

5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Great stuff Kevin. I can picture your trip around the wetlands, and the shots you got at 'the tree'. 8)

I really wish I could have been there to shoot with you guys, and to meet Dao in person. Maybe he can come back for Merritt III. :wink:

6. Thanks all!

Don, yeah I figure eventually I'll get lucky with the dive bomb shot. Just gotta find the right place that has an abundance of Ospreys. Viera might be it but I need longer glass for that....at least 500 or 600. ;)

Ben, you should really try to come down for Merritt 3. You would have a blast!

Frank, Gale and I were really twisting Dao's arm to come back for Nov. Maybe if we all gang up on him, he'll cave in. I told him maybe we could post a donation thread here for him to come down! :) But then again, everyone would probably just donate for their own cause. ;) He was lots of fun and full of smiles!

7. I wish I was ther ...

Thx for posting those, excellent repport on the shooting.

Great to put faces hidden by a camera of some members :lol:

Thx for posting this.

8. Hi Yves,
    In a way you were there. We talked about you a number of times throughout the day! :shock: :wink: All good, I promise. :roll:

In case you forgot what your friend looked like, here's a partial facial view of him (& Gale). Glad I'm the photog. ;)

[​IMG]

9. Kevin those two birds in the tree are fantastic

10. Nice series Kevin.. Wish I coulda joined you all and met Dao, but I was in the Keys...

great shots...

11. Thanks Gilles! Wish I had just a tad longer lens for this particular tree. 300 + 1.4x isn't quite long enough.

Thanks Harris! Yeah, it would've been fun if you had joined us. We really had a great time, smiles on our faces all day long! :)

12. Greg

Greg

Apr 5, 2005
    Fayetteville, TN
    goo d stuff. I really need to try to make the trip sometime.

13. Sounds like it was a great day Kevin. Great shots, what is the name of the bird in the first pic. I really like that one.
    Pete

14. Indeed, you should, Greg!! I've never had a bad time shooting with Cafe folks. Like I said previously, it sure is nice to be able to shoot with those who share the passion. :)

See you in Nov (hop a ride with Frank! ;))

15. Thanks, Pete! That first bird is a Caracara. They're really interesting looking birds, that's for sure. At times, their dark feathers on their head looks like a toupee! :wink:

16. Shame on me by missing this post. Am I gorgeous looking as a blind man photographing birdies. :D

17. Looks like a great time was had by all and the excellent images are the icing on the cake. Well done.