A different pack of Wild Horses

I rarely get to photograph this pack. They aren't far from my home, but they cover a wide range of ground. I've got "eyes" looking out for them, and got a call this afternoon that they had been spotted. Normally, they are rather skittish, but I got to hang out with them for over an hour before they had had enough of me. They are a small pack of one stallion, five mares, and one foal.

This one looks to be a little over a year old. I really like that "wild" mane.
155716976-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The male foal in the background (I'm guessing between one to two months old), with one of his older sisters.
155716986-L.jpg

Big guy on the right is the Stallion... quite a good looking horse.
155716990-L.jpg

Hanging in the wildflowers.
155716994-L.jpg

Keeping an eye on me.
155717001-L.jpg

Weather: partly cloudy turned to cloudy and off and on rain. Taken handheld with D200, 300 2.8vr, some with 1.4tc.

Wow, you are so fortunate to live in an area where wild horses still roam. They are spectacular animals. My husband bred, raised and trained horses for 15 years. While I wouldn't suggest feeding wild horses, when we used to have to break the young ones I found walking around the paddocks humming, singing little songs softly or just talking softly put them at ease . In time, they would not be skiddish by my presence and not as clingy to their moms. Although there was always one who hated the clicking of the camera and would get everyone cranked! Thanks for sharing such wonderful shots!

Beautiful, David! The flowers are a nice add-on.

Cheers
Thanks Harry. There are quite alot of wildflowers this Spring, after heavy rain and snow over the Winter.

Beautiful animals. They look very clean compared to the other pack.
No burrs! These horses live in the foothills of the mountain, less desert-like.

Wow, you are so fortunate to live in an area where wild horses still roam. They are spectacular animals. My husband bred, raised and trained horses for 15 years. While I wouldn't suggest feeding wild horses, when we used to have to break the young ones I found walking around the paddocks humming, singing little songs softly or just talking softly put them at ease . In time, they would not be skiddish by my presence and not as clingy to their moms. Although there was always one who hated the clicking of the camera and would get everyone cranked! Thanks for sharing such wonderful shots!
They are magnificant animals, aren't they?!

They look so shiny and healthy, very nice and the flowers in the background too... BTW. not often I have seen NM in bloom :smile:
Hi Andreas. We are having a nice Spring this year after so much rain and snow. Then later there will be lots of flowers up in the mountain.

David, these are very nice shots. I love the flowers in the background. Well done. Is it getting hot down your way yet?
Thanks Jim. It's just now beginning to get into the upper 80's. Be we always have nice cool evenings and mornings.

You ARE the horse whisperer :). Excellent images, especially with the prairie in bloom!

Best,

Jose
Much appreciated, Jose!

Beautiful, David.

I showed these to my wife, and she admired them too, but was mainly interested in the wildflowers. What are they?
Thanks Jim. With the record rains last year, and record snow over the winter, there are lots of wildflowers out that I've never seen before. I don't know my flowers, so can't identify these for you. I'm putting up another post on some wildflowers I shot yesterday.

David, another great series of incredible images. These look like a fine group of horses. Very well done.

Louie
Thanks Louie. This bunch is very healthy.

Another lovely series, David.
This group looks amazingly healthy.

Virginia
aka beaucamera
Much appreciated Virginia. There's plenty of food and water for them this year.

Latest threads

Top Bottom