A Disturbing Trend -- Banned Tripods

For the vast majority of my photography, a tripod is an essential piece of gear. I was alarmed when I read about the tripod ban in Zion National Park, but since it only applies to workshop participants it won't directly impact me.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Earlier this month, I was disappointed to learn that tripods are completely banned in Lower Antelope Canyon now. When I visited Lower Antelope Canyon, I participated in the Photography Tour--which permitted tripods. Given the relatively low light in the slot canyon and the fact that I did a lot of exposure bracketing...the tripod was essential. Now, all Photography Tours have been cancelled--even during the "off season".

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

What's next? A ban on tripods throughout the country?

Glenn

I still think there’s probably a good reason
I think they have a good reason...the place (Antelope Canyon) is packed wall to wall with people. When someone sets up a tripod, the constant flow of the crowd is disrupted. When I visited, I paid a premium for the Photography Tour--which simply allowed me to use a tripod. The guide would block the flow of people for about 30 seconds...so I could get a few pictures now and then. Without the Photography Tour, the chances of getting a decent shot are remote. I understand the reasoning--but it basically takes photography out of the experience. I know they don't care, but I won't be visiting there again if I can't take pictures.
Glenn, some more comments and opinions here: Whoa! NPS, what are you thinking?
Yes...I do understand the reasoning. It's just a shame that these places have become so crowded that it has become necessary at times to ban tripods. I'll be leaving for Iceland soon--and I was shocked to receive an email from our photography guide about the ice caves. I initially paid $200 for the ice cave tour (along with four other in our group--so $1,000 in total for the small group). The guide said that the experience would not be ideal as the ice caves are so crowded now that it would be nearly impossible to get pictures. So, he suggested that we "reserve" the space--which requires hiking to the cave in the dark before sunrise and paying an additional $70 per person. Keep in mind that these ice caves are relatively remote--about 250 miles from Reykjavik and in the middle of the Winter! But, at least I can use my tripod!

Glenn

Real Name
Randy
It’s not a shame, it’s a good thing and it’s even better that someone is paying attention. I’m guessing it’s too busy to do the photographer thing. Personally I can’t do places like this. Crowds and the same shot as everyone else doesn’t interest me although I wish they’d let your tripod in since your shots are not what everyone else is getting

There is a tourist attraction in Katakolon, Greece (the exact name escapes me) where tripods are not allowed. The reasoning: Tripods ruin the ruins.

It's selfie sticks that should be banned! :rolleyes:
I can't get my head around these things, wanting to include yourself in photos, must be too old as I just can't get it. I've run into them snorkeling off Maui, they're everywhere. I wonder if Jim saw any on his trip to Antarctica? I was waiting for a bus a few years ago and got a nice demo of how to use one from a Chinese tourist, mentioned to my wife that we must be missing out on something and I should get one. She told me she'd kill me if I started walking around with one of those things.

Real Name
Randy
As long as they’re not in my face selfie sticks don’t bother me at all. Nothing wrong with wanting a pic of yourself and not wanting to ask someone else to use your camera. I’m more amazed people get so negative about them than I am people using them

Did the person that hit you with the selfie stick apologize?

A guy that had his dog on a leash (legally so) in a state park apologized when his dog bit me, but then was offended when I asked him to read the details of the dog's tags to me. A couple of years earlier I was bitten by a pair of dogs also on a leash but had no tags. I got the police and health department involved. They quarantined the dogs until everyone was sure I had no reason to be concerned about rabies.

Did the person that hit you with the selfie stick apologize?

A guy that had his dog on a leash (legally so) in a state park apologized when his dog bit me, but then was offended when I asked him to read the details of the dog's tags to me. A couple of years earlier I was bitten by a pair of dogs also on a leash but had no tags. I got the police and health department involved. They quarantined the dogs until everyone was sure I had no reason to be concerned about rabies.
I have to ask, You were bitten twice by dogs in a park? are we talking nips or real bites?

A dog should never bite a human. It is the responsibility of the owner to properly train and control their dogs.

I have been around dogs all my life and only been bitten once, and that was when I waded into two large dogs who were fighting. Reason, a ten year old boy, to owner if one of the dogs, went into the fight to protect his dog. I went in and pulled him out and got a bite on the hand. Had it not been for the child I would have let the dogs sort it out.

Cheers,
alexis and Georgie Beagle

" if the selfie human had of been Canadian he would have apologized.. they can't help it, it is in their DNA" - Georgie Beagle

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom