A Disturbing Trend -- Banned Tripods

Time to pick up an Irix 11mm (full frame)
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
lens for those tight places. Manual focus, but if you set it at a small aperture and lock the aperture ring, you can do quite well hand-held. Brought it to Biltmore for Christmas:

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
The ban of tripods may be annoying to us, but look at two examples:

- Castle Neuschwanstein:
There are aprox. 7,000 visitors a day. Imagine 10% were using a tripod. It won't be possible to show the rooms to all of them. And believe me some will use the spikes of the tripod on the old wooden floor.

- Antelope Canyon:
OK, the floor isn't the problem. But getting all the visitors through it will be nearly impossible.
As I have heard they offer guided tours for photographers with tripods.

Regards
Klaus

Real Name
Steve
I have to say, except for shooting video, I kinda like the challenge of getting a good image with restrictions. Cameras are better and better with low light, lenses are VR-equipped, and the shutters are smoother. It isn't like we don't have the tools to NOT use a tripod.

- Castle Neuschwanstein:
There are aprox. 7,000 visitors a day. Imagine 10% were using a tripod. It won't be possible to show the rooms to all of them. And believe me some will use the spikes of the tripod on the old wooden floor.
When I was there, towards the end of the last century ( :eek: ) I used a monopod and did OK, despite being limited to ISO 200 film, or slower. On an earlier trip to Denmark's Kronborg castle, I didn't own any camera support and did manage to take a few shots by bracing against walls and such.

I have to say, except for shooting video, I kinda like the challenge of getting a good image with restrictions. Cameras are better and better with low light, lenses are VR-equipped, and the shutters are smoother. It isn't like we don't have the tools to NOT use a tripod.
It's possible to capture images, but the tripod offers so many more benefits when it's possible to use one. I do a lot of exposure blending for various reasons--focus stacking, dynamic range, stacking to remove tourists, etc. These things are simply not possible, or not nearly as effective, when done handheld. I understand why tripods are being banned in locations such as Antelope Canyon...but it makes capturing images more difficult...or impossible. Many locations ban tripods for the very reason that they don't want photographers creating images with commercial value...they understand that creating commercial quality images is nearly impossible in some of these low light interiors without using a tripod or some other stabilizing tool.

When I shoot interiors (particularly churches or state capitol chambers), the tripod is an absolute necessity. Without it, I can't retain all the details in the chandeliers or stained glass windows. Yes...I can get a picture. But, bright windows will be at least partially blown out. I often need to bracket the exposures more than nine stops apart in those situations...and precise positioning of the camera is critical. Sometimes, I have issues with the blends even when using a tripod...if I'm not careful enough with the way I handle the cable release!

Glenn

Last edited:
To speak to the crowds, let me be frank, and brief, and hopefully not overstep. I visit several national parks every year, generally during Christmas break and during the summer (me being a teacher and all). I must say that in my experience a majority of the overcrowdedness is due to foreigners coming to our wonderfully beautiful country and visiting our national parks. I'm not going to pass judgement except to say that a part of me feels that these are OUR parks, first and foremost... perhaps some ideas to consider and discuss, politely! in that...
I have noticed the large number of foreign visitors to our natural features, but I have no problem with that as long as they are as respectful of them as I (and all Americans) should be. After all, I regularly visit national parks in other countries.

The ban of tripods may be annoying to us, but look at two examples:

- Castle Neuschwanstein:
There are aprox. 7,000 visitors a day.
That's incredible. I first visited that castle in 1969 and I recall only a few people wandering around. Went back in 2009 and the crowds were much bigger, but I don't remember anything like that.

I have noticed the large number of foreign visitors to our natural features, but I have no problem with that as long as they are as respectful of them as I (and all Americans) should be. After all, I regularly visit national parks in other countries.
I agree. Just imagine what would happen if all countries started restricting their tourist attractions to their own citizens...

The U.S. is already losing tourists as a result of the political climate (not trying to start a political discussion here, just stating the latest statistics).

Mike

While I am not partial to crowds, esp. in NPs, I must admit, one of my favorite memories shooting an iconic location was about 6-7 years ago, one other photog and I showed up at Mesa Arch at about 4 in the morning to grab prime spots. By 5, a photo tour of around 15-20 people had arrived and set up camp. If you've ever shot there, you'll know that 5 is a crowd, and 20 is the like 405 during rush hour... yet, the whole morning was fun! We were meeting, bantering, trading spots, crossing tripod legs, and in general, helping everyone else get the shots they needed.

In contrast, later than night, that same photog and I who arrive early, had "hit it off" and met up at Delicate Arch for a night shoot... and had the place totally to ourselves... we light-painted to our hearts' content, and it was great! That was probably my single best day of photography, due in part to both ends of the spectrum, people-wise.

To speak to the crowds, let me be frank, and brief, and hopefully not overstep. I visit several national parks every year, generally during Christmas break and during the summer (me being a teacher and all). I must say that in my experience a majority of the overcrowdedness is due to foreigners coming to our wonderfully beautiful country and visiting our national parks. I'm not going to pass judgement except to say that a part of me feels that these are OUR parks, first and foremost... perhaps some ideas to consider and discuss, politely! in that...
Just saw a story about Amsterdam wanting to restrict tourist numbers. Apparently too many tourists want to smoke some weed and stare at the hookers in the windows. Similar stories in Iceland etc. and way outnumbering the locals. "Our" is relative.

Just saw a story about Amsterdam wanting to restrict tourist numbers. Apparently too many tourists want to smoke some weed and stare at the hookers in the windows. Similar stories in Iceland etc. and way outnumbering the locals. "Our" is relative.
Time mag did an article on this last week, and I believe the NY times did too, or was it NPR?

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
Best example - Venice.
You should be there when two or three ocean liners flood their passengers to the city.
On the other hand, if you visit Venice in winter it's nearly empty.
Hey, Amsterdam is not only sex and drugs...
It was and is a wealthy city with a lot if sightseeings.

Kind regards
Klaus

I encountered a variant of this when going to a Mountain Bike event (images in this thread). The admission rules were no commercial photography unless accredited, and no equipment over 30cm in length. The equipment restriction specifically mentioned that it included tripods and monopods.

Curiously enough, only one of the 10 or so accredited pros I saw was using a tripod. He had what looked to be at least a 600mm lens set up to take the same shot as #5 in the thread. He spent a fair bit of time shouting to spectators to get out his line of sight. Me? I was closer to the action, next to the track boundary rope, and had no problems with spectators or with what was visible from the 300mm PF.

We have a variant on this, which this summer will be the first time really tested. Our little town of 18,000 welcomes more than 2.5 to 3 million visitors over the course of the summer, for the parks, wine and theatre. With the legalization of cannabis, we're not sure of the impact this year... In any event, few people in town right now and it is very peaceful (if not cold).

The challenge in managing the flow of so many people is the fact that you are managing the flow, which means there are restrictions on what people are allowed to do, and may have been able to do in the past. And it always costs money to manage the flow.

For the record, our little town does not have a red-light district.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom