A Disturbing Trend -- Banned Tripods

Its a double edge, but I am glad, people are using our National parks, getting out of their chairs and taking a hike, a walk and seeing the beauty.
the down side is, we are not alone any longer, but I think its a good thing that more and more people are enjoying our natural resources, as long as the Feds fund it to keep it safe, and we will see more and more permits, lottery type access to maintain vs too many boots destroying.

We have a variant on this, which this summer will be the first time really tested. Our little town of 18,000 welcomes more than 2.5 to 3 million visitors over the course of the summer, for the parks, wine and theatre. With the legalization of cannabis, we're not sure of the impact this year... In any event, few people in town right now and it is very peaceful (if not cold).

The challenge in managing the flow of so many people is the fact that you are managing the flow, which means there are restrictions on what people are allowed to do, and may have been able to do in the past. And it always costs money to manage the flow.
It's unlikley that Niagara on the Lake will have a cannabis store this year and there are restrictions on possession and transport amounts so I doubt you'll notice any difference from previous years when black market dope was easily obtainable. The uptake of cannabis by previous non-users has been small.

I have a couple of stores within a couple of miles of my home here in Winnipeg and I haven't even checked one out to see what they look like inside.

Larry

Last edited:
It's unlikley that Niagara on the Lake will have a cannabis store this year and there are restrictions on possession and transport amounts so I doubt you'll notice any difference from previous years when black market dope was easily obtainable. The uptake of cannabis by previous non-users has been small.

I have a couple of stores within a couple of miles of my home here in Winnipeg and I haven't even checked one out to see what they look like inside.

Larry
Larry, you are probably correct. The Public Health unit is currently doing a survey regarding use of cannabis in public places (including vaping and tobacco). This would or could/potentially include the ability to sample products at production facilities in NOTL. Discussion should prove to be lively.

We could have some fun regarding municipal/federal regulations. Parks Canada has already identified that consuming cannabis on Parks Canada property is OK (which includes the Niagara Parkway), although the consumption of alcohol or tobacco is still a no-no.

I posted this a while ago regarding the popularity of locations downunder, caused in part by postings on social media sites.

Hugged to death

I'm my own worst enemy, I tend to experience my holidays through a viewfinder. I miss out on a lot of what's going on as I become obsessed with looking for the next photo oportunity.
Usually our trips are booked in advance, so time is limited in each place as we need to be at an airport or another town by a certain date and time.

The best holiday of recent times was when the wife and I hired a motorhome in the South Island of New Zealand. The only constraints were the date and time we arrived, and when we flew out. The 3 1/2 weeks in between we took our time to explore what the country has to offer. Sure we had a few places each of us wanted to see, but had nothing booked in advance. For instance we went to Wanaka so I could photograph 'The Tree'. I couldn't get over the number of photographers there at the time. But we also took the time to spend a few hours visiting the National Transport and Toy and Museum.

Here is a picture of what is possibly the most photographed tree in New Zealand, on the shores of Lake Wanaka

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

NCV

Real Name
Nigel
On the bright side. This is the Tosco Emilian Apennines national park (Parco nazionale dell'Appennino Tosco-Emiliano). I can walk all day and see perhaps two other people.
Nobody will stop you using a tripod.

Hey, there's an upside to tripod bans. I've got a few images in the files that are now rather unique. Like this one from Brooks Falls where they've banned pods. Try this handheld.

We have a variant on this, which this summer will be the first time really tested. Our little town of 18,000 welcomes more than 2.5 to 3 million visitors over the course of the summer, for the parks, wine and theatre. With the legalization of cannabis, we're not sure of the impact this year... In any event, few people in town right now and it is very peaceful (if not cold).

The challenge in managing the flow of so many people is the fact that you are managing the flow, which means there are restrictions on what people are allowed to do, and may have been able to do in the past. And it always costs money to manage the flow.

For the record, our little town does not have a red-light district.
I have been though Niagara on the Lake a few times on my way to Toronto. I did not notice a red light district in my travels, not that I was looking for one anyway. :ROFLMAO:

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom