1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

A Dog and A Squirrel

Discussion in 'Other Animals' started by sonuj2, Oct 4, 2008.

1. sonuj2

sonuj2

May 11, 2006
    Naperville, IL
    Our dog was after a baby squirrel in one of the trees in our backyard and it was fun to watch her do her silly thing. I decided I wanted to capture the 'action' for fun and I had a great time doing it. She kept looking back at me as if to see if I am approving of whet she was doing and the expression in her eyes was just great. Hope you guys enjoy the sequence. All of these were shot with my D2H and 70-200 VR @ 2.8 ISO 200, Auto WB.

C&C appreciated.

1. A terrified baby squirrel up in the tree

[​IMG]

2. Who is this intruder?

[​IMG]

3. Get off my tree !!

[​IMG]

4. Do you want me to come up there?

[​IMG]

5. I will get you this time ......

[​IMG]

6. How am I doing Daddy??

[​IMG]

7. Hmmm, this guy is not coming down ... what should I do now??

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2008
  2. sonuj2

sonuj2

May 11, 2006
    Naperville, IL
    Wow !! Almost 40 views and not a single comment :confused: 

3. I think #6 "How am I doing, Daddy" is really cute. Anthromorphizing a bit, it looks like he's got a cheesy grin on his face for the camera.
    I think they'd be a teeny bit better if you got down at his eye level. The lighting is nice and the exposure looks about right to me.

4. ArtO

ArtO

Jun 14, 2008
    Florida
    Nice series. Your captioning is great too.

5. sonuj2

sonuj2

May 11, 2006
    Naperville, IL
    Thanks for the feedback. I did not have much choice in deciding where I wanted to shoot from. I was in our dining room on the second floor of our house and had enough time to just get my camera and shoot. The light was fairly good and the action went on for about 15 minutes which gave me some time to squeeze a few shots. If I had tried to go to my deck she would have come running to me and I did not want to lose that opportunity.

Thanks ArtO!

6. Hey Shekhar...
    Neat series of shots, and great captions... Thanks for sharing..
    Hope the squirrel was OK at the end...

Should have one of those headings like in the films..
    " No animal was harmed during the production of this film..." ;o))

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2008
  7. sonuj2

sonuj2

May 11, 2006
    Naperville, IL
    Thanks for the comments and suggestions Wally!! I am glad you liked the sequence. By the way ArtO was one of the viewers who responded to my images. The squirrel was OK .... he just stayed up in the tree for a few more hours waiting for our dog to come inside the house and then just bolted for safety :biggrin:

Thanks,
    Shekhar

8. Oh what a perfect series! Shekhar, I just love it! You have the captions down perfect, the photos are perfect, complete with your dog smiling in #6! Oh please don't stop posting photos - I'm loving them! Awesome shooting too!

9. Great series Shekhar! Love #6. What an expression.

10. sonuj2

sonuj2

May 11, 2006
    Naperville, IL
    Thanks Dianne! I am glad you liked them. I have not had much time to do any photography in the past 9 months because of my work so when I saw this opportunity I grabbed my camera (luckily I had the 70-200 on it) and started taking pictures. I did not want to disturb our dog by going outside so I shot through our dining room window on the 2nd floor but I would have loved to have shot from the same level as she was.

Thanks Mike, I guess I got lucky with that expression .... right place, right time kind of thing. She was all excited and charged up and turned around to look at me. I knew I had a great expression once I started chimping.

11. kirbinster

kirbinster

Nov 24, 2007
    NJ, USA
    I have a bird feeder that attracts squirrels and chipmunks to the tree that it is tied to. I have three siberian huskies, and they spend many hours doing just what your dog is doing - it is so funny:

2907726840_0ce096e5fa.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2907727898_007cbfa552.jpg

2908108724_7fa46a44b8.jpg

2907725744_7d25d450b7.jpg

2908104236_40457d2f96.jpg

2908100978_9ed50a9c4a.jpg

2907246479_f0f9b64770.jpg

12. Nice series. You did a great job capturing eye contact. Your dog seems very interested in getting that tree rat though. Our male doberman Apollo, who has since passed, caught quite a few squirrels. After he caught the first one, he knew it was possible and chased them all the time. Thanks for reminding me of him. It bought a smile to my face.

13. sonuj2

sonuj2

May 11, 2006
    Naperville, IL
    Your dogs are so adorable and looks like they love doing the silly things that all dogs like to do. Our dog tried catching a mourning dove once but realized the futility of her efforts and surprisingly has never attempted that. It is so much fun watching these wonderful animals have a sense of ownership of their yards and try to protect it from intruders.

Thanks Rich, she has never caught a squirrel yet although she catches rabbits. We have a large family of rabbits in our backyard so she has an abundant supply at her disposal. I was looking for her eye contact and interaction with the camera as I was shooting and surprisingly she was looking at me all along as if trying to get my approval on how she was doing. She looked so silly throughout this whole process but I really enjoyed the shoot.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2008
  14. evokel

evokel

Sep 6, 2008
    florida
    haha hes determined

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.