1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

A dragonfly face :)

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by VPT, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Let me know what you think about this shot please. Thanks for looking and have a nice weekend.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2008
  2. Spectre

Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    Oregon
    Vinh,
    I like that a lot. The lighting is great giving really nice detail.

3. Wow Vihn, Excellent!

4. And in two minutes I agree with Paul twice, record??? Nah... Great shot...

5. Great shot. Geeze the more I look at these dragon closeups the weirder they become. Crop out those "lips" and you'd be hard pressed to know what they are from. And what are those secondary 'eye' things?

6. They are occelli.

Because they’re predatory, both damselflies and dragonflies have excellent eyesight. They have a pair of large compound eyes that are their primary means of detecting prey, but also several occelli across their “forehead” that they use for sensing small changes in light and dark, which helps them to orient upwards. The eyes are another useful feature to separate damsels from dragons - the compound eyes of the latter meet at the top of the head, while those of damselflies are usually widely separated.

If I get time I will give you details of what you are seeing in the face of your dragonfly.

BW. Bob F.

7. Walt

Walt

Jun 12, 2008
    North Carolina
    great shot

walt

8. Thanks all for your comments.

9. Excellent shot Vinh!

That´s something that so many other flying insects saw the last... if they ever saw it coming, that is :smile:

10. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Excellent shot. Great detail and saturation.

11. Geez, looks like my neighbor:biggrin::biggrin:

I don't think I have seen a better head shot of a dragon.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.