1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

A Dragonfly

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by lmatney, Jul 28, 2009.

1. lmatney

lmatney

Oct 25, 2007
    Goodyear, AZ
    A couple of weekends ago I found a pond near me with quite a few dragonflys. I had fun but they were not landing and my longest lens was a 200mm F4. It was a bit short and did not focus fast enough to really catch them in the air. This last Saturday I went back with a 300mm F4 AFS and a TC 1.4 on my D300 and it worked much better. 1/1000 at F9 and ISO 3200

Thanks for looking.

604714719_XnQa4-L.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. 3whiteroses

3whiteroses

May 23, 2008
    Maryland
    Great capture!

3. Outstanding shot.

4. Excellent shot!

5. Wow! You have to be pretty quick on the trigger to capture a shot like that. Nice going!

6. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Excellent job on the beautiful dragonfly.

7. Yikes!!!!! was that autofocus? I can't even get close with auto no matter what mode I try.

8. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Dragonfly on the fly? Yikes! Great capture!

9. SteveM10

SteveM10

Jun 5, 2009
    Parrish, FL
    Great shot!

10. Ryan Bradford

Ryan Bradford

Jul 14, 2009
    Rochester
    wow how did you manage to get that! Great shot!

11. Amazing in flight shot.

12. That´s a great DIF shot! Well done, Larry!

13. lmatney

lmatney

Oct 25, 2007
    Goodyear, AZ
    Thanks everyone. It was autofocus and I caught him when he was hovering for a few seconds so it was not as tough as it may sound. Mostly patience waiting for one to get close enough and pause long enough to take a few shots.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.