A drive over Teton Pass

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by Terri French, May 15, 2005.

1. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    We drove over the teton pass yesterday as I wanted to take a picture from there. The closer we got, the more cloudy it became. The shot was a challenge because of the snow and the shadows in the valley. I tried something new and converted two raw images--one for highlights and one for shadows and blended them in Photoshop using a layer mask. I have never done that before. Here is my result. Positive criticism is always appreciated--that is how I learn.

18-70mm lens at 50mm, f8, 1/250

View attachment 8899

2. Looks great! I'd be interested in trying something like myself.

3. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
  4. F15Todd

F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    Tennessee
    Terri I see lots of snow...please tell me I don't have to drive over those to get to Boise next month :?: :lol: :lol: :lol:

5. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Your biggest worry will probably be that Boise will be too hot!!! If you go to teton park this summer you might want to consider driving from Idaho Falls to Jackson Wyoming over the Teton Pass. It is quite spectacular and the roads are dry.

6. Very nice!! I love the wide open space and beautiful mountains in your first shot!! :D :D :D :D

7. Thanks for the tip Terri, the shadow and highlight masks are the way to go for some images. Beautiful part of the country you are sharing with us.

8. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Very Beautiful Terri,

You did an outstanding job.

Thank You for sharing the Beauty.

9. iunknown

iunknown

Mar 18, 2005
    Sunnyvale, CA
    Terri, the 1st one is a beauty.

10. jkamphof

jkamphof Guest

The blends worked very well!! I have barely touched on this in PS, but am keen to try.

Joel.

11. obelix

obelix

Mar 17, 2005
    Fremont, CA, USA
    Very nice Terri. I might be tempted to add a tad bit of contrast (or pull down the 64 point in curves) for the sky region to make it a tad bit darker.

12. sfoxjohn

sfoxjohn

May 1, 2005
    Marlton, NJ
    Terri,

This is a nice application of the high/low blending.

By the way, for anybody who's interested, Fred Miranda has a plug-in which makes the work even easier (in most cases) called DRI. I think that the whole technique, no matter how you use it, is more satisfying than using graduated ND filters. No more worries about things on the "wrong" side of the dividing line.

Disclosure: I have no connection with Fred miranda other than as a customer.

13. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    I really appreciate the comments by everyone

I will take all the suggestions into consideration and try them out. Tomorrow I am heading to Moab, Utah for a few days in Arches and Canyonlands, so it might be a while before I get back to this picture!!!

Can't wait for all the photo opportunities I will have in Utah.

14. Beautiful vista!!!

15. CraigH.

CraigH.

Feb 1, 2005
    Northen NJ
    Beautiful shot! :) Would like to see this also in landscape mode.

16. jkamphof

jkamphof Guest

A bit off topic, but I don't wanna do a new thread. At some point I'll upgrade my camera, but if I am not mistaken the D2X can do this by doubling a single exposure right, removing the need for digital blending in a PC? Does this function work well (Question for all them D2X'ers out there)?

17. kccheers

kccheers

May 2, 2005
    Liberty, Mo
    Terri, you are REALLY making my day! When I saw this post I had to look. We are coming your way June 11th, actually gonna stay in the JH area. It will be our first time at either Teton or Yellowstone, so we are really looking forward to it.

By the way,, NICE PIX!

See Ya....

18. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Hi Sam,
    I hope the weather cooperates for you. The weather can wildly fluctuate in this area in June. If it is good, you should have a fantastic time. I love both parks. You'll get lots of photo oppurtunities. The teton range would be best in the morning. I have only been in to photography seriously for about a year and haven't done much shooting in either park yet. My husband and I did go to yellowstone on our motorcycle last summer with I was using my Olympus 8080. Realize I didn't have much experience yet but I do have a gallery of shots that I took there.

http://www.pbase.com/terrif/yellowstone_park_2004

19. obelix

obelix

Mar 17, 2005
    Fremont, CA, USA
    I have mixed feelings about the DRI plugin, it works in many cases, but leaves a halo :( in some others.

I am more excited about the HDR mode in PS CS2.