A farmer and his horse

Discussion in 'Miscellany' started by daodang, Nov 23, 2005.

1. Last weekend, while scouting the countryside for some landscapes, I encountered an old farmer harnessing his draught horse. After politely asking if I can have some pictures of him and his horse (to what he replied with a large smile), I took these shots post-processed in PSCS to make them look «oldy»

Notice the modern 4x4 transportation mean in the background. The old draught horse still has the upper hand on a muddy ground :wink:

Comments and critiques are always welcome.

Attached Files:

2. Dao...I like the old look you gave them but the only thing I would change is to give them more contrast.

3. biggstr6

biggstr6

Apr 26, 2005
    Richmond,Va
    I like the first one . The B & W or Sepia (whatever) works for me.

4. Hi Melissa,

a great thank for the suggestion. The pictures do look more «punchy» to me.

Here's the new version of the first.

Attached Files:

5. Hi Biggs,

Appreciate your kind word.

6. Nice scenes Dao, I like them a lot. Farms like that make for great shooting.

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Excellent Dao,
    Like the atmosphere of both images. Looks like the poor horse has to tote his own chow. :>))
    Alot of emotion on the farmer.
    Cold, tired.
    Pretty horse.
    On the more contrast, on my monitor (which I don't trust) looks like white getting a bit hot.

9. Watch the whites on the hight contrast vertion, the horse is starting to look pretty "angelic" in comparison to the rest of the scene. I actually like the first vertion better. It has a nostalgic feel to it.

10. Matt, I appreciate your comments. I think I understand your mention about the nostalgic feeling of the first version. The picture does look like an old print which colors are fading with time.

11. Hello Dao

There are aspects of the higher contrast version that I like better but the more I look the better I like the first two. The detail is better in the first two and the (DOF) isolation is just right, the higher contrast version gives up too much detail in the shadows to me.

12. Hi Gale,

Sorry I missed your post. Thanks for the appreciations.
    You are right on about the farmer. It was a quite cold, humid and overcast day. Despite of the large smile he gave to me when I asked for pictures, I think he wasn't very happy to get out and do the work.

13. Hi RB, appreciates the inputs.

14. Hello D. D.
    My prefered is #1 in its first version. The movemens of both the farmer and his horse are tense. The low contrast and toning work for me in conveying the timeless impression of mankind burden.
    The post behind the horse and farmer is distracting though. Not an easy job, but I would try to clone it out to get the most out of this powerful image.

15. Christian, thanks a lot for the comments. Good point with the post. I think it will not be too difficult to clone it out the post.

16. sfoxjohn

sfoxjohn

May 1, 2005
    Marlton, NJ
    Dao,

Very nice pictures. My favorite is the first.

I have to say that I prefer your original two pictures to the more contrasty one. They generate the feeling in me that I imagine you intended viewers to feel.

Since you used the new critique symbol, I would make one suggestion and one comment.

The suggestion is to crop the first one just a little bit on the right and bottom.

The comment is for the second one. The horse seems a little too crowded by the bottom and right side and makes it seem like he's almost walked out of the picture. I feel it might be better if you had been able to swing the camera right and down a little. But I realize that's the kind of thing you can't do much about now.

Regards

17. John, your critiques are helpful and I appreciate them. Thanks a lot. Regards.