A Fence!

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by hawley088, Sep 9, 2008.

1. hawley088

hawley088

Sep 9, 2008
    PA
    nothing special, plain and simple but i like the way this turned out! hopefully you all will too
    :cool:

DSC_0589.jpg

2. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    Well done on looking beyond the normal and finding a subject that would be ignored by most people.

I feel this image could be improved by refocusing to change the focal point however, by having the only sharp element in the far left you've somewhat restricted the 'travel' of the eye within the frame. Had it been me shooting I'd have focused on one of the further posts and drawn the eye along the blurry fence to the sharp point thereby leading the viewer through the depth of the image.

Don't let this put you off however, I see you're very new around here and I look forward to seeing more of your work.

3. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    In addition to what Robert has suggested, I think it would have helped to get a little more angle between the fence and your focus direction and to stop down some rather than shooting at maximum aperture. [A little shorter focal length would help with the DOF too.]
    As this image stands, the viewer's interest tends to stop at the first post because of the abrupt loss of focus and definition of the fenceline. Good concept though and something worth doing again.
    [I see you used -2/3EV exposure compensation, but the sky is still blown -- might have to bracket exposures and then blend for this kind of shot.]

Note: Collective Shoot #94 was all about fences -- take a look and you might get some ideas.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  4. i like this one
    i think that you did well
    thanks for sharing it with us

5. hawley088

hawley088

Sep 9, 2008
    PA
    i tried to do that but i couldnt get it right...none of them came out that good, thanks for the advice tho and i do agree. i just needed to take a few more minutes to take a couple more shots, noted for next time :smile:

thank you also for your comments and suggestions, it was a very cloudy day out so there was not much i could do about the sky, you couldnt even see any clouds, it was just like a gray ceiling all day

thank you :cool:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  6. For landscape photos, try to avoid gray skies. To do this, focus at or below the tree line. I like fence line photos. To get a proper depth of field, aim focus in the middle of the field, using Aperture mode at f/10. That should bring the front, middle and rear in focus. Any type of landscape photos should have everything in focus.

Another hint, one which I have trouble with, is to get there before dawn to get your shot at first light. Snore.