A few @ 12mm

Discussion in 'People' started by dbirdsong, Aug 15, 2005.

1. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

I took these at a family reunion this past weekend with my Tokina 12-24 and my SB800

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Interesting perspective with that lens David. You have used some creative angles and crops. Fun images.

3. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    You've got a good looking family Dave. All three are very good - great even. In number one, the line of the hands really walks me through the picture! The girl's expression in 3 is monalisesque, and the second one is my favorite. The whole hair thing, and it looks like the close girl is holding the head of the other in her hand. Sureal!

4. JMartin

JMartin Guest

I like all three of these a lot Dave! Nice use of a super-wide.

A question for you... Due to some problems I had while shooting a project for work last week, I am considering getting a 12-24 lens and after a little research the Tokina has moved to the top of my list. Can you give me your opinions on the lens, some pros and cons and would you still buy the Tokina if you had to make a choice again?

Thanks,
    Joe

5. Hi David,

I think these are wonderful. The unusual perspective and angles make for a fun outlook on the subjects and scene.

Very well done.

Best wishes,

David

6. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Cool shots, Dave. I love the use of the wide angle. You did well to capture some cute faces w/o distorting them. I agree w/Chris about the hands walking you through the first shot...really a neat pic.

7. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Thanks everyone.. I just love the Tokina lens, some of the whole family shoots are kind of fun too, I will post one tonight.
    It helps when you have a daughter and her friend that don't mind you sticking a camera right in there face (and being 6 inches taller looking down at them helps the perspective a lot too)
    Joe, buy the tokina, you will love it.

8. Nice fun photo's. I am looking for some weeks at that Tokina 12-24mm F/4 lens. More and more i begin to like the thought to owning that lens and putting it on my D2X. Maybe i must just order it soon.

So i can after that purchase see some nice shots with a other lens to wanting that again.

9. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Now I may be wrong, but Vince, I have a feelong that I will like what you do with a wide angle at close range!

10. digitalfrog

digitalfrog Guest

very nice pictures.

Have you all found out like me that men love to see themselves taken in pictures with a wide angle and ladies mostly don't ?

Men love the fun and distortion, ladies hate to look different (read not equal or better) than they are in 'real'.

Ralph

11. I like the perspectives you have captured. I have always had a fondness for wide angle but tended to shy away from pointing them at people. Your images suggest maybe I should buy on and go get in some people's faces ;)

12. Robin Roddy

Robin Roddy Guest

These are very cool. The technique alone commands attention. You did a fine job shooting wide without distracting distortion.

Just as everyone else has commented, I think the "hands" picture is a real keeper -- between the unique perspective and the interesting hand positions, it seems very dynamic to me. Good stuff.

13. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Thanks Robin.
    I think being over 6'1" helps because I was shooting down in all those pictures, and I also was getting the camera right in the girls faces too. The only thing I wish I could do over is on the white dome on the SB800 to soften the flash and maybe spread it out a little more, but it was in my photo vest 100 miles away that day.
    BTW, I have checked out your stuff on the web, very nice work.

Dave