1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

A few 300 2.8 shots from the zoo...

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by gnagel, Sep 16, 2008.

1. I visited the Brookfield Zoo for a couple of hours this afternoon and captured the following images with my D700 and 300 2.8 lens:

#1: Penguin duet
    p982590084-5.png
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

#2: Inca tern
    p869911794-5.png
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

#3: Baby gorilla
    View attachment 253807

#4: White mustache (with 1.4x teleconverter)
    View attachment 253808

#5: Gorilla (the mother)
    View attachment 253809

Thanks again for looking...
    Glenn

2. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Excellent, Glenn! How do you get them to pose for you so well? :biggrin:

3. kiwi

kiwi

Jan 1, 2008
    Auckland, NZ
    Gee Glenn, I'm impressed with that last shot especially looking at the EXIF

4. Thanks!

I wait until they look at me...even if it takes a long time...:wink:

Glenn

5. Thanks...

These images are heavily cropped. I'm generally pleased with how the resolution holds up with this lens (and camera) given the magnitude of some of the cropping.

Glenn

6. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Impressive, to say the least. The last one even has nice catch lights! :biggrin:

7. WOW. These are just excellent!!!

8. Thanks!

Thanks again Phillip

9. shtarka1

shtarka1

Feb 1, 2008
    Boston
    Amazing Grabs!!!

10. Thank you Steve

11. Glen,

All I can say is WOW!

and please stop posting such beautiful shots until B&H gets the 300VR back in stock........LOL Just Kidding of Course.

GenoP

12. Thanks Geno...

I didn't realize there was a shortage of 300 VRs. It must have something to do with the Olympics.

Glenn

13. That last shot is incredible, well done.

14. Yes, I have been in the process of switching back to Nikon from Canon, and I can't find one anywhere......I have been holding out hoping B&H would get one soon.

I have been very tempted by the 200-400VR, however I want to get a smaller lens, and I like the f 2.8 stop. If I was to get the 200-400, I would end up also having to buy the 200 2VR......but this way I may be able to just get by with the 300VR.

I have been really doing my best to only buy what I need this time.

GenoP

15. Very very nice Gary. Might be enough to motivate me to head to the National zoo on Friday, weather and energy permitting... Baby gorilla, awesome...

16. Thank you Louis

17. Geno,

I went through a similar thing--going back and forth between the 200-400 and the 300 f/2.8. Of course, they are both great lenses, but I'm glad I chose the 300 2.8. I find that my shooting style calls for that very shallow depth of field that 2.8 offers. And, as you mentioned, the 300 2.8 is a more portable.

Someday, I would love to purchase a 200 f/2. For now, I'm using my 70-200 f/2.8--also a fine lens.

Thanks again,
    Glenn

18. Thanks Rich...I appreciate it.

Glenn

19. #3 & #5 are WOW shots for sure

20. Cool pictures, Glenn. However just looking at these pictures I can tell, what this lense dreams about...... this lense is screaming for a real task, not just taking pics of static animals in the Zoo :)  , it wants African wildlife action photosafari type of a task :) , it wants difficult lighting conditions, when it will be proud of its 2.8 aperture and high focusing speed. Only then it will be able to look at 200-400 and say - "I gotcha!" Seriously, I am looking for this glass right now to couple it with 600vr for wildlife photography, but cannot find it anywhere. And I am still having second thoughts whether I should go with 200-400 instead. This is so tormenting! Both are good, both have pros and cons...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.