A few birdie pics...

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Uncle Frank, Jun 12, 2005.

1. My choices:

1. Go shopping at Ikea with my wife and her sister
    2. Get dropped of at Baylands Preserve for a few quiet hours of birding.

Tough choice ;-).

Here's some Snowy Egret shots from the rookery.

View attachment 10383
    View attachment 10384

Can anyone help me ID this heron?

View attachment 10385
    View attachment 10386
    View attachment 10387

There were other fliers...

View attachment 10388
    View attachment 10389

... a kid who couldn't keep his feet on the ground...

View attachment 10390

... and a pigeon.

View attachment 10391

All shots taken with the 80-200/f2.8 - Kenko Pro 1.4x combo. Hope you enjoy.

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Well done Frank. If it had been me of course, I would have gone shopping with the wife, but your choice wasn't bad.... :twisted:

I think that your mystery birdie is a juvenile BCNH.

3. You mean a Black-crowned Night-Heron? Aren't the pretty rare?

4. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Great images Frank... I would have opted to pass on the Ikea experience as well. The more birdy images I see posted, the more, "I feel the need, the need to shoot those that eat seed" :lol:

5. But they don't just eat seed!

6. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Good Point...that is one bad bird. My daughter is still saying "eeeeewwwwwwwwww"

7. Evening Frank, luv that 2nd shot!!!! now tell me, how do you handle that exposure, you all do it very well. Great series

Now as far as your shopping experience goes, got to get my wife out, but dont know where the heck she will drop me. LOL

Keith

8. Thanks, Keith! I use matrix metering for white egrets, take a lot of pictures, and use the histogram to help me figure out
    how much exposure compensation to use to avoid overexposing them. Then I do a bit of dodging and burning in Photoshop.

9. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    ALl very well done U.F.

Love the 2nd shot, & the little boy jumping in the air. That bird in question is definitely a juvi Green Heron. Are you implying that somehow going shopping with the Mrs & her sis wouldn't be quiet?

10. Re: ALl very well done U.F.

Only a bachelor would ask that question.

11. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Frank, based upon my brief

experience of 11 yrs of marriage, I can honestly say that I'd rather have Bamboo slivers shoved under my fingernails than going shopping with my wife & her sister! :shock:

12. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Not that rare. Chris Knight got some shots of a YCNH here in Huntsville a few weeks ago, and we saw several of each variety at Sanibel last Fall. I believe that the bird that Yves likes to shoot is also a BCNH.

13. Well you certainly made the right choice IMO! :) :) These are great shots, Frank! I really like the backlighting on the wings!
    Also, thanks for sharing the processing tips.

Thanks for sharing. :) :)

14. They all look good specially #2 white egret,#5 heron and the young boy floating on the air.

15. Love the immature heron , I need to find some local spots near here with some opportunities, my local pond had a few egrets last year but not sure they are back this year. Thanks for sharing always look forward to your posts

16. Beautiful shots, clear, sharp, saturated, well composed. Excellent.