A few birds

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Kevin Scott, Nov 19, 2005.

1. Spent a few hours today at Gatorland so see how things stand there with their Rookery. Seems like birds are starting to arrive. There were primarily Great Egrets, a few Snowys and Great Blue Herons. The Great Egrets' lores seemed to be starting to turn green and the breeding plumage is seeming to appear as well. So, it looks like it won't be too long now for the action to start happening.

Here are a few Egret portraits that I felt came out pretty well. Was kind of over cast off and on and had to shoot at ISO 400 at times. Tried out the 70-200 + 1.7tc, 70-200 + 1.4tc and the 300 + 1.7tc.

Thanks for looking

A Great White Egret~
    [​IMG]

Another Great White Egret~
    [​IMG]

And a Snowy on the same setting as the 1st shot but from a different angle~
    [​IMG]

2. the last of this series is absolutely a perfect shot. You are getting pretty handy on these birds. I think you can safely throw that rock you occasionally hide under away.
    dave

3. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Great portraits Kevin
    shows the birds off well !

4. Great images Kevin, I really like the 3rd one ;)

5. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Excellent shots Kevin.

6. radz

radz

Nov 12, 2005
    NewDelhi,India
    Exposure is pefect,very nice Egret shots!

7. I appreciate the kind words from everyone! Thanks for looking!

8. Well done Kevin.

9. These are stunning Kevin.

10. Kevin,

Those are gorgeous, stunning in fact! Awesome captures and great post-processing. I don't think I have seen a better snowy than your #3 here. Congrats! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

11. Excellent shots Kevin. I understand now just how hard it is to get a snow white bird to come out properely. They're all great, but the last one is superb.

I haven't quite got the hang of it to be able to identify exactly which Egret it is all of the time.

Louie

12. Thanks Jim and Jim! I appreciate you taking the time to comment.

13. Wow! Thanks, Philippe! I kind of thought these shots turned out pretty well myself but I'm really overwhelmed by the positive comments I'm getting! Thank you so much!

14. Hi Louie,
    Yeah, these birds can be challenging. Lots of practice and I like to really watch my "blinkies" rather than the histogram. Makes it challenging too when you shoot a white bird with proper settings then suddenly see a darker bird fly by. That's when I decide to focus on light or dark and shoot for a while then switch. Fortunately, places like Gatorland have such an abundance of activity it makes that possible.

15. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Kev,

Very, very nice series. I'm starting to get a twitch waiting for M III. :rolleyes:

16. Well, you know the cure for the twitch!!!???!!! Come on down!! Always ready to shoot and learn more from you!! :wink:

Thanks for always the kind, encouraging words, Frank! Much appreciated!!