A Few Boids from the Weekend

Well bird photography wasn't the main mission for the first trip of the season on Prince William Sound. But what's a guy to do when they're just there :smile: Still a lot of snow around and the weather was a bit damp but not windy. Finally got to shoot something other than dogs :)

All shot with a D800E and 500mm f4 VR.

Harlequin ducks like to hang out on rocks. These guys must have thought they were camo because they wouldn't move, not even a turn of the head. The flight shot is pretty severly cropped and shot at ISO800 so finer details don't show very well.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

A couple of shore birds. The first is a whimbrel and I believe the second is a surfbird (thanks to william/wizard0003 for the ID). The WB seems off on the whimbrel now that I look at it.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for the comments, guys. I love those little harlequins. No woodies up here so they are the next best thing. I was in a power boat so no chance of getting close without flushing them. But I thought it worked out OK with the shot of them on the rocks. Though at least a turn of the head would have been nice :frown:

Those Harlequins sure do have some great color on them. Great job on freezing the action of the second one ... just wish he was coming our way (but then again, you can't be too picky!)

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom