A few close up Killdeer shot in rare Seattle sun.

Discussion in 'Birds' started by james thiel, Apr 8, 2007.

1. As many have heard we have not had much sun this year in the Pacific NW. Since I have to work six days a week and 12 to 13 hours days, it has not bothered me much. My busy time is nearing an end and just as a tease the sun was out on Friday. Hit a record high in Seattle even. So I went to Gasworks park on Lake Union at lunch time. Not much was going on but I was able to get real close to this Killdeer. They are very noisy and fun to watch bob up and down.

original.

This one walked along a log in the lake and moved back and forth.
    View attachment 89506

View attachment 89507
    And then it went into the brush near the shore. They sure do blend in well. That is why they hide so well.

View attachment 89508

And here is one I took with Louie when we were in Bosque, NM late last year.

View attachment 89509

Hope to be able to get out shooting again real soon. Happy Easter to all.

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    They are a pretty little Bird. Yes they move about quite quickly.
    Very good shots.
    Glad you have some sun:>)))

3. Jim, glad you got out a bit.

#1 is, well #1 :biggrin:

4. Beautiful shots James! They always have that sad look to them.

Anthony

5. Beautiful captures, Jim - love the orange ring around the eyes - lots of detail in these shots. :smile:

6. Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

May 16, 2006
    Oregon
    Nice series.

Yes you are right about the weather. My other hobby is astronomy and I think I've forgotten which end of my telescope to look through:) 

7. Beautiful series of captures Jim. Happy to see you getting away from the books for a few hours..

Louie

8. Timeout

Timeout

May 23, 2006
    SoCal
    Wonderful shots, Jim! Lucky you, to get close to one. I have been on the tail of some for some months now - still no cigar, can't get close enough! Enjoyed this series very much; glad you got a chance to get out. :smile:

9. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Very nicely done set Jim. I see this species when I go over to the dam, but so far, I haven't gotten anything worth posting. This year for sure though. :smile:

10. Thanks much Gale. They are sure fun to watch and this one did not seem to mind me as it walked right up to me.

Bill I have so many shots, it was hard to pick out just a couple. I have no spare time any more to even sit at the computer to look. These were just some quick grabs. I will have to pick a few out to print as I really like the detail in these.

Thanks Anthony. They are so funny to watch as they bob up and down.

Thanks Sandy. I was lucky to have been so close as it really did let me get that detail in the shots.

Thanks Jeff. I sure hope the rain will end soon as I am looking forward to getting out soon.

Thanks Louie. Yes, getting out even for a few minutes is sure a great stress reliever.

Thanks much. They can be a real challenge. I think the reason I was lucky with these is that the bird flew close to where I was set up and then it just wanted to check me out.
    Thanks Frank. I was in the same spot last year and now I have a fair number of Killdeer shots. I think it is always getting that first good one that is hard. Good luck and I look forward to seeing your shots when you get them.

11. Numael

Numael

May 16, 2006
    Destin, FL
    Great shot, I really like #1, it has everything!!!!

Cheers

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.