A few driveway shots....

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Flew, May 26, 2007.

1. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Still trying to improve my image quality on the small birdies. I would appreciate comments and feedback, and would especially appreciate comparative shots. All taken with the D2Hs / 400 2.8 + 1.4 TC.

Mocking Bird @ ISO 360:
    [​IMG]

Brown Thrasher @ ISO 450:
    [​IMG]

Another Mocker @ ISO 500:
    [​IMG]

And another Brown Thrasher @ ISO 450:
    [​IMG]

And finally, a Robin @ ISO 200:
    [​IMG]

Let me know what you think. :smile:

2. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    Hi Frank,

The exposure and sharpness are right on the money! I am also envious of the Thrasher images, I can't seem to be in the right place for these birds.

On my calibrated monitor (for whatever that's worth) I see a definite green cast in 1,2 and 4 but not 3 and 5. I suspect these were converted with a warm bias?

Either way these are very very good images! Both of the Thrasher images are :eek::eek::eek:!

3. Very Nice set Frank, Color and detail is outstanding

4. Hey Frank! Gimme that camera, that's enough for you!! LOL

Outstanding! Just curious why the high ISO in what appears to be decent light?

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I like to know how the heck you can improve perfect

Beautiful birdies and shots

6. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    I just downloaded these and pulled them up in Photoshop and don't see near the green cast that I see online. I have no idea why that is?

Did I mention the Thrasher images are making me drool? :biggrin:

7. These look outstanding to me, Frank. Are they close to full-frame?

8. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks Andy. I have been trying to get Brown Thrasher shots for a couple of years with little success. I lucked out this Spring, and got a family that apparently is nesting next door, right next to my driveway.

Thanks Gary.

Thomas, the light was OK, but was not as good as it looks. In addition, I was trying to shoot at a fairly closed aperture and a relatively high shutter speed to get sharp shots. With the D2Hs, it doesn't hurt that much in any case. Thanks.

Thanks Sweetie. :wink:

Andy, I do seem to see the green cast issue from time to time, but I didn't notice it on these. Weird how it didn't show up when you downloaded the images though.

Dave, these are very close to full frame. I only cropped each a bit to get the composition the way that I wanted it. Thanks.

9. Tim O

Tim O

Jun 11, 2006
    Illinois
    Outstanding Frank,there is no way for me to help you here unless you want me to take all your equipment off your hands:biggrin:and then I would still need all your knowledge so just keep struggling along:rolleyes:.I will be watching for more of your GREAT backyard birdies:smile:

10. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Frank,

Nicely done, you are starting me lusting again!

In regards to the processing the only thing that I notice regarding the colors is maybe a bit warm on the branch the birds is on, so maybe for fun try a cooler touch or dip of around 300-400 on the WB, or maybe a selective brush control on the branch, otherwise I have no further comments, they are that good!

Super work,

Wade

11. Excellent series of birdies Frank, great shooting!

12. Big birds or little birds you are outstanding.
    These are mighty fine shots and you are due extra credit for naming each.
    Naming the birds is something that I am not very good at and I have been lazy when it comes to looking them up.
    You may just be the inspiration that I need to do better.

13. I think they look really good. Excellent exposure.

I would also say that some of them are a tad bit to green but I do that myself by using colorboost and like it, it gives more appearance of sharpness. I think (or I'm imagining) I can see tiny traces (?) of NR being applied, and maybe you could have sharpened it a tiny bit more for the web presentation, but thats is all a matter of taste, and can be argued for a long time.

You are also so close to the subject (I think?) that F8 barely makes it for DOF, and you did focus on the eyes I think to make sure that is in foucs wich is of course the most important thing, but that also menas that some parts are on the verge of not being in focus.....

The only way to get more detail out of them would be fill flash from a couple of side flashes I guess....

I noticed at the end of writing this that I did not comment on noise, and that is a good thing I guess... Looks really good....

14. Gorgeous as always, Frank!

15. Spot on everything Frank. No nits from me :). My monitors are all calibrated and I can't detect the green cast mentioned. I think the color is a combination of great warm light and reflection from the surrounding greenery. The trasher image is superb.

Best,

Jose

16. Good stuff Frank. You make the Brown Thrasher shots look too easy.

17. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks for the kind comments everyone. I went out again early this morning and was pretty much skunked. I don't know why, but the birdies just wouldn't pose for me. Oh well, I'll be back out there in the morning. :rolleyes:

18. I'd say you nailed it on these shots Frank. I'm more impressed with the D2Hs with each of your posts, you're really getting some beautiful results at the ISO settings you're using.

Louie