1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

A few egrets

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Philippe Roger, May 23, 2005.

1. I went to the Palo Alto Baylands Preserve today. The egrets were plentiful, and there were a few other birds too, including the usual suspects: gulls, mallards and canadians. I shot well over 400 pics and I found a few good one in the lot. It may take a while to cull and process, but I thought I'd share a few.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

More later... ;-)

2. WOW!!! :shock: Philippe!!!! This first shot is a killer!!!! Excellent series!!!

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    wow

Great job.

Beautiful images.
    thank you for sharing

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Gorgeous Philippe!! I like them all, but the first one is a real stunner. Wish I lived near these beautiful animals.

5. Philippe, these are really nice! I can't wait to see some more from your shoot. :D 

6. WOW that first shot is a wallhanger what beautiful colors and very sharp and well composed.

7. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    WOW, Phillipe! Great shots! I also like the first one -- looks like he's been launched like a missile the way the head feathers are laying.

8. WOW....the detail and colors are amazing!! Nice goin' Philippe!! :D  :D  :D 

9. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Spectacular image, Phillipe!

Absolutely stellar! (the others are good too) ;) 

10. Fantastic shots Philippe, #1 is awesome!

11. Greg

Greg

Apr 5, 2005
    Fayetteville, TN
    Great Whites. How long did it take you to learn to control these exposures? are these manual?

12. Wow, thanks a lot for your praise, folks!

Yes, I like #1 a lot too. :roll: I probably wouldn't be able to duplicate this one on demand: it was taken as the egret just took flight from that very tree: I was watching him/her getting fidgety and thought that it might just take off, and it did! :shock: This one is the first of a series of three, but the only one where no body parts are missing! And believe it or not, this is a full frame, with no crop. Talk about beginner (at birding) luck, huh? :oops:  8) :lol:

The rest was simple: D2H with 70-200VR + 1.7TC, at max zoom (~340mm), just dialed in -1.0 or -1.33 EV of compensation, in matrix metering, shot at f/8 in aperture mode, with a nice shutter speed of 1/1250 thanks to the bright lighting. Post processing using the Ron Reznick method in Capture (the last 2 were post-processed in RML, but I'll redo them in Capture: I don't like the green rendering here).

All in all, (and with some luck, of course), it was pretty easy!! ;-) :p  :lol:

Edit: I did redo the 2nd and 3rd images in Capture, and the greens look much better now...

13. Yeah Philippe guess I would be happy. dont know how I missed these shots. All I have to say is WOW.........beautifully done!!!!

Keith

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.