A few egrets

I went to the Palo Alto Baylands Preserve today. The egrets were plentiful, and there were a few other birds too, including the usual suspects: gulls, mallards and canadians. I shot well over 400 pics and I found a few good one in the lot. It may take a while to cull and process, but I thought I'd share a few.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

More later... ;-)

Gorgeous Philippe!! I like them all, but the first one is a real stunner. Wish I lived near these beautiful animals.

WOW, Phillipe! Great shots! I also like the first one -- looks like he's been launched like a missile the way the head feathers are laying.

Wow, thanks a lot for your praise, folks!

Yes, I like #1 a lot too. :roll: I probably wouldn't be able to duplicate this one on demand: it was taken as the egret just took flight from that very tree: I was watching him/her getting fidgety and thought that it might just take off, and it did! :shock: This one is the first of a series of three, but the only one where no body parts are missing! And believe it or not, this is a full frame, with no crop. Talk about beginner (at birding) luck, huh? :oops: 8) :lol:

The rest was simple: D2H with 70-200VR + 1.7TC, at max zoom (~340mm), just dialed in -1.0 or -1.33 EV of compensation, in matrix metering, shot at f/8 in aperture mode, with a nice shutter speed of 1/1250 thanks to the bright lighting. Post processing using the Ron Reznick method in Capture (the last 2 were post-processed in RML, but I'll redo them in Capture: I don't like the green rendering here).

All in all, (and with some luck, of course), it was pretty easy!! ;-) :p :lol:

Edit: I did redo the 2nd and 3rd images in Capture, and the greens look much better now...

Yeah Philippe guess I would be happy. dont know how I missed these shots. All I have to say is WOW.........beautifully done!!!!

Keith

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom