A few faces and people shots from Myanmar (7 pics)

Discussion in 'People' started by Harry S., Apr 4, 2005.

1. I just finished uploading a selection of two of my eight trips to Myanmar (Burma) from 2003 and 2004.
    http://www.pbase.com/rovebeetle/myanmar_burma

Since I had never posted any people shots I thought I might choose a few teasers from this subgallery. The last pic doesn't show people but I had to add it since it is one of my personal favorites.
    I apologize to those with dial-ups :) and hope you like them.

Also, to stir the lens lust a bit :twisted: : pics 1-4 shot with 70-200/2.8 VR, and 5-7 with the 45/2.8P.

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

2. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    FANTASTIC!!! I just love the 2nd pic...talk about personality....Thanks for sharing

3. Amazing shots Harry!! :) :) :) :) :)

4. Great studd you have captured there emotions.

5. Talk about some excellent images, you have them. I like all of them but especially the one of the old woman and the one of the young child.

6. Thanks all! It's good to receive some positive feedback, since I seem to be unable to judge my own pics :? It is so much easier to comment other's work and criticise or praise it but I fail when I have to sort and choose my pics for posting.
    Cheers

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I especially like 1-4-7.
    I briefly looked at the 45 P ekkk $$$ and quickly turned the page :>))

All great images. Well done.
    Thank you for sharing

8. cmpalmer

cmpalmer

Jan 27, 2005
    Huntsville, AL
    All are great, but I think #4 is my favorite. Very nice color, composition, and emotion.

9. Thanks Gale!

You should try to buy a lens in Austria. That would quickly change your price standards. You Americans live in the blessed realm of photo equipment acquisition. Let me tell you that the 45P costs more than twice as much here :( (I paid 480 EURO in 2003) as do many other lenses. I have no idea what this depends on (surely not only VAT) because e.g. the 28/1.4 costs more than 3000$$ (new) which is much more than twice the US price, but some others are just slightly more expensive. Especially now that the US$ is so low against the EURO it really pays to get equipment from across the lake.
    Even if you don't smuggle it, it still is much cheaper than purchased here.
    Cheers

10. Thanks!
    I also like the mood in this pic very much, but I still have to do something with it. The white wall to the right is a bit too bright for my taste. Ron Reznick once suggested to burn it (hopefully, he did not mean the whole pic :? :) ), as soon as I have more time again for such things I will try that.

11. mrdinh

mrdinh

Mar 8, 2005
    North Dakota
    awesome work!...

12. hans

hans

Feb 5, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Terrific series Harry

Thanks for sharing

13. Thanks Stuart, Phat and Hans!
    We have a saying in German "Even a blind hen finds a grain at times" :lol: , I wonder how the correct English rendition of this saying goes.

14. obelix

obelix

Mar 17, 2005
    Fremont, CA, USA
    2nd picture. Outstanding!

Thanks for sharing, all pics are wonderful.

15. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Harry,

They're all outstanding and so glad you posted them.. The old lady smoking and the little boy standing are my favorites but each one of your pictures tells a story..

Thanks,
    Gaye

16. Great shots!

I love the portrait of the old women smoking!

17. Thanks all!

It seems the smoking woman has some impact :) :)

She obviously was an expert in smoking matters. She had a little booth near Mingun Pagoda where she sold cigarettes for twice the price they cost in town :lol:

cheers

18. Hi Harry.

I thought that you spent the grant on teaching and fieldwork not taking pictures of people!!

I like number 4 very much indeed, as it conveys my impression of the area, but I suspect that number2 is closer to the truth.

BW. Bob F.

19. Re: Hi Harry.

From time to time even a dedicated researcher and instructor needs a time-out. Sigh....
    Thanks, but I think it applies to both. I would like to spend more time in the future shooting pics of people since they are so divers in Burma and mostly unspoilt (unless in areas with heavy tourism), and, they behave very naturally and unscared.