A few first shots with my new Z7

Real Name
Paul
Well, I'm very happy with my new Z7. Maybe it's psychological, but I'm definitely preferring the output to the Z6 I had briefly a month or so ago. The IQ is a notable step up from the Olympus E-M1ii though. It's not about sharpness or resolution - it's more about tonality and the depth of the colours. Hard to explain, but I'm finding that images have a more natural look. M43 files are still very good - but they are more "punchy" and in your face, whereas the Z7 is more subtle but all the more pleasing for it. I'm also bowled over with both the 24-70 and the 14-30 Z lenses. The 14-30 in particular is quite amazing. I guess I've got a good copy, because at f8 it's very sharp across pretty much the entire frame. Maybe a little softening in the corners, but nothing to get upset about.

Anyhow, here are a few images from my first real outing with it. Nothing spectacular - it was damp and overcast and mid-afternoon. Some more interesting landscape shooting will have to wait a little longer.

All were shot in Chipping Campden - a small town in the "Cotswolds" area of the UK. Amongst other things, it's known for its lovely yellow stone - which you can see a lot of here. And yeah - I shot the Almhouses at f4 - still learning to get on top of the slightly different operation from the Oly!

50109684791_c6fbdd0295_o.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Resting Place II by Paul Kaye, on Flickr

50109032243_80a56593ec_o.jpg

The Almshouses by Paul Kaye, on Flickr

50109839377_a5530c5b3b_o.jpg

Resting Place by Paul Kaye, on Flickr

Roses on a Wall by Paul Kaye, on Flickr

50109902742_7b24a0e2a3_o.jpg

Doors of Chipping Campden by Paul Kaye, on Flickr

Last edited:
I think of m4/3 and the high rez Z7 like 35mm and LF film. Both systems complementing each other.
That would be my direction and pairing.
I was thinking about doing that with the dSLR, but the D810/850 is HEAVY, compared to the Z7. And as I get older, weight is an issue, for me. The Z7 lets me do that without the significant weight of the D850.

Real Name
Andrew
@pdk42 ,

I've had the pleasure of following your work and meeting you in person.
I don't think it matters what camera you have in your hand - you'll produce magic.

I'm glad you found what you were looking for in the Nikon Z7.
Looking forward to your images in the future!

Well, I'm very happy with my new Z7. Maybe it's psychological, but I'm definitely preferring the output to the Z6 I had briefly a month or so ago. The IQ is a notable step up from the Olympus E-M1ii though. It's not about sharpness or resolution - it's more about tonality and the depth of the colours. Hard to explain, but I'm finding that images have a more natural look. M43 files are still very good - but they are more "punchy" and in your face, whereas the Z7 is more subtle but all the more pleasing for it. I'm also bowled over with both the 24-70 and the 14-30 Z lenses. The 14-30 in particular is quite amazing. I guess I've got a good copy, because at f8 it's very sharp across pretty much the entire frame. Maybe a little softening in the corners, but nothing to get upset about.

Anyhow, here are a few images from my first real outing with it. Nothing spectacular - it was damp and overcast and mid-afternoon. Some more interesting landscape shooting will have to wait a little longer.

All were shot in Chipping Campden - a small town in the "Cotswolds" area of the UK. Amongst other things, it's known for its lovely yellow stone - which you can see a lot of here. And yeah - I shot the Almhouses at f4 - still learning to get on top of the slightly different operation from the Oly!

View attachment 1665617
Resting Place II by Paul Kaye, on Flickr

View attachment 1665616
The Almshouses by Paul Kaye, on Flickr

View attachment 1665618
Resting Place by Paul Kaye, on Flickr

View attachment 1665620
Roses on a Wall by Paul Kaye, on Flickr

View attachment 1665601
Doors of Chipping Campden by Paul Kaye, on Flickr
Excellent, Paul. I thought first scene looked familiar. I find I have a photo on my web site of that same scene made almost exactly ten years ago: 21 July 2010. We did a walking tour of the Cotswolds then.

Last edited:
Real Name
Paul
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hi Jim - thanks. I was eager to see your shot, but it seems the link points back to this page!
Yes Jim - fixed now. A fine shot - and indeed, very close to where I took mine. And as a glider pilot, my immediate reaction is "just look at that sky!!". Interestingly, the two trees to the right of the old building that are visible in your shot are now gone.

Real Name
Paul
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Welcome back Paul, glad to hear you’re pleased with the Z7 and the 14-30.
Thanks Ian. I'm liking both the camera and the quality of the images from the Z7 and its lenses so I'm definitely here to stay for a while. I'm going to go cold turkey with it and leave the Oly gear in the cupboard. If after a month I've not had any need or desire to go back to it, then it's off to eBay for my landscape trio (8mm f1.8 FE, 8-18/2.8-4, 12-100/4). I'll then get the 24-200.

That'll leave me with the EM1.2 plus 40-150 + TC for long lens use. I may at some point replace that with the 70-300 AFP since I'll get cash back on the deal and will get pretty much the same reach, but obviously down a couple of stops on aperture which the better ISO performance will make up. Anyhow, time will tell. The EM1.2 is a very fast camera, much faster than the Z7 so I may stick with it.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom